Thursday 29 June 2017

Getting Rid Of Perspiration Smells

I just love the smell of freshly washed clothes.  Unfortunately perspiration smells don't always disappear no matter how good your laundry powder / liquid is.  Here is a simple and inexpensive way to help remove these odours.

Pour white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray on the offending smell as you are sorting out the washing to go into the machine.  Put the smelly clothes in last then wash as per usual.  Hanging the washing in the sun can also help to remove the odour.

If the odour is quite strong,  spray the garment 30 - 60 minutes before putting in the washing machine.  Some odours might need repeat treatments and washes.

I knew white vinegar worked well for cleaning but I was quite suprised at how good it was on smelly clothes.

NOTE -  No name ( generic ) vinegar does the job just fine at a fraction of the cost of branded vinegar.


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for that tip Wendy. I will give it a go with hubby's workout gear.
    I've found soaking them in bicarb soda works quite well too.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this on my husband's touch footy clothes, Wendy. Thanks for this tip ... isn't plain old vinegar such a useful thing! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, for at least a year I've been using your Miracle Spray on the underarms of my son's shirts and as stain remover, it works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatly appreciate this needed tip...Thank You Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I am going to try this on my hubby's work clothes. I have made it a habit to wash all his work clothes separately because they smell awful and transfer that smell to the other clothing. I have had to toss out several items of my clothing because I could not get the smell that transferred from his clothing to mine out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, I have been using white vinegar in place of fabric softener for many years now. Not only is it cost effective, but it works, no static, no vinegary odor when the wash is done. I also buy the generic version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Wendy,
    I agree, vinegar works great for removing smells. My husband works hard and his clothes get drenched during our Texas summers (all year really). I add about a cup of vinegar to the wash, let it soak for about 30 minutes, then continue as usual. It works great!
    Love, Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my poor mother. She used to always say "use vinegar on that". I kept thinking "I like how my own stuff works". You know how some people are just slow learners? well that's me. Finely slowly over a year or two's time I became sensitive to nearly all chemical smells. Guess who reverted to vinegar? Yep, that's me. Vinegar is now in nearly ALL of my make your own recipes. I'm going to make your "Miracle Spray" recipe next. Thank You for sharing.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drinking plenty of water also reduces the odour

    Siebrie

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.