* Disinfectant wipes. For starters they are quite expensive per wipe. Secondly they are an environmental hazard. Thirdly, a cloth wipe and disinfectant will do a better job. Even better, a cloth can be thrown into the washing machine to wash and reuse over and over again.
* Dishwasher air fresheners / cleaners. What a waste of money. Clean the filters often with a toothbrush and detergent. Then clean your dishwasher once a month with Miracle Spray on the door and seals, bi carb in the powder dispenser and white vinegar splashed around the inside. Run it on a long hot wash to clean out the pipes. Dishwashers smell when dirty dishes are left in there for days on end.
* Surface cleaners. We are led to believe that a bench is not clean unless we use this harsh combination of chemicals. The scent can be so strong it can cause headaches and migraines ( first hand experience here ). Instead, use Miracle Spray, vinegar or a little detergent on a clean cloth. I only use disinfectant on a cloth when I've been dealing with raw meat. All the other times I use Miracle Spray. I can honestly say my family rarely gets sick and we've never caught gastro from my over worked kitchen bench.
* Toilet deodoriser blocks / Blue Loo. If you believe the adverts for these products, they are meant to keep your toilets clean without you lifting a finger. Amazing isn't it ??? I've cleaned thousands of toilets in my cleaning career ( giggle, giggle ) and I can honestly say they do not keep the toilet clean. Generally the fragrance dies after 2 weeks and the toilet still needs a clean. Blue Loo ends up splashed all over the walls and who really needs colored loo water ?
Save the toilet deodorisers for when you have a big gathering at your home and you'd like the toilet to smell nice. Occasionally I use the Duck disks and buy up big when they are half price at $2.80 for a pack of six. They work out to 46 cent each and last 4 + weeks. If you want your toilet to stay clean longer, flush the toilet after each use and definitely DON'T leave anything in the toilet bowl overnight.
* Carpet deodorisers. If you just want your carpets to smell nice, add a few drops of essential oil to a cup of bi carb. Sprinkle over your carpets and leave for 1/2 an hour. Vacuum up and enjoy your fresh smelling carpets.
Here's the link to the last post I wrote about cleaning products.
Do you use basic ingredients to keep your home clean ?
|Basic cleaning supplies|