This week at the Gower Abundant Cottage has been a little slower. Darren came down with a cold just over a week ago. Then on Monday I could feel a sore throat coming on which became a cold. I had to cancel my cleaning jobs on Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday I was starting to feel a bit better but had Darren help me with the cleaning job that day.
The rest of my week was spent resting as much as possible. I know it's just a cold, but I tend to get chest infections as I get older so I try to take it easy when I can.
Here's how the rest of my week looked. Unfortunately I didn't take too many photo.
* We fed lots of silverbeet, weeds, grass clipping and a few crusts to our chickens.
* I baked a double batch of Easy Coconut Slice for a few occasions over the weekend and leading up to Christmas. Some of the slice was stored fresh in the pantry and the rest went into the freezer.
* Made a big pot of chunky chicken and veg soup from a chicken carcass and leftover meat. This big pot of soup gave us 13 serves. Most of this went straight into the freezer. I could almost live off this soup all year round ( except in a heatwave ).
* Dried most of the washing outside on clothes horses or the line.
* Picked the last of the mini cauliflowers growing in our veg garden. We enjoyed it steamed with other veggies for a couple of dinners.
* Saved leftover drink bottle water into a bucket in the kitchen. The water was then poured onto plants outside.
* I baked 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Bought TVP through a wholesaler and got 10% off the whole order on their Black Friday sale.
* Sold more hand knitted dish cloths to a friend.
* Sold an unwanted item on Marketplace.
* Made a quadruple batch of shortbread biscuit dough. I baked about 15 biscuits for Darren and I to eat for morning teas. The rest of the dough was cut into different shapes and frozen it without baking. As the occasion arises, I can get as many biscuits as I need from the freezer and bake so that they are fresh. My plan is to be as organised as I can ahead of the Christmas season so I can relax and enjoy the festivities.
* Sold lots of raspberry plants from our garden to friends and family. Growing raspberries has saved us so much money over the years. We no longer buy raspberries. I make jam for us and some to sell, I sell some of my baking with the raspberries in it and I have given raspberry plants as presents. This is the second year I've sold plants.
* Took advantage of the Black Friday sales and purchased some items from The Body Shop at 50% off. These toiletries will be for Christmas presents this year and birthday presents next year.
* I planted more beans where I could find space in the veg garden. I've noticed that frozen beans have been hard to get at the supermarket over the last few months. Growing our own and freezing excess produce will help keep our stocks up.
|Getting ready to bake|
|Selling raspberry plants. I still have a few left|
|Hanging towels for sale $8 each|