This week has given us milder weather here in Melbourne. Darren and I continue to work in our garden planting, pruning, weeding and harvesting. Everything we harvest from the veggie garden is a real blessing and is helping to keep our food budget low.
Here's what we've been up to -
* Picked a handful of raspberries each day. Our strawberry plants are still giving us fruit every couple of days.
* Saved the shower warm up water and poured it into the washing machine. Saved kitchen water was used to water lots of pot plants and the mandarin trees.
* Darren and I had a day out last Sunday to Phillip Island ( about an hour away ). We took our lunch, a thermos and afternoon tea with us which saved us quite a bit of money. It was lovely to sit under the big trees on the sloping grassed area at the beach.
* Wrote out our menu plan for the next 4 weeks. It's always a relief to have it written out and really does make dinner time so much easier.
* I took some homemade chicken stock out of the freezer and made a pot of chunky chicken and veggie soup. I added broccoli crumbs from the bottom of a ziplock bag in the freezer. Nothing went to waste and it gave extra nutrients to the soup. We had the soup for 2 dinners this week at a cost of about 20 cents a serve.
* Filled up both our cars with petrol for well under $1.20 a litre just as the price was going up to $1.65.
* Picked the last of the sweet corn, blanched and froze it to add to future meals.
* Built a little fence to protect the lettuce and silverbeet plants from the ever growing bean plants. I used gutter guard as the fence and scraps of timber and tied it together with cut up old socks.
* Darren and Luka made scones together. Luka is a fan of anything that looks like cake.
* Dried all the washing on the line outside even when it threatened to rain. I'm always full of optimism when it comes to the weather and my wash day. The dryer is only used in emergencies.
* Planted lettuce seedlings I bought. I picked a punnet with more seedlings than the others to get more value. From the punnet I got 20 seedlings instead of the usual 8.
* Picked more lemons from our tree. I know it's out of season but our tree has ripe lemons as well as baby ones.
|The little fence I built to protect the lettuce seedlings|
|Protecting the silverbeet from the bean plants|
|More out of season lemons|
|Luka helping with the vacuuming|
|" I can do it myself "|
|Luka loves the on / off button.|