We also made a trip to Tasmania with Jessica, Megan and Jessica's boyfriend Eugene. I'll post more about that trip in next week's frugal task list. While we were away our garden continued to flourish in the heat with the help of our next door neighbour who came over each day to look after our chickens and to water our garden. When we came home I had 2 kilos of beans to pick and peaches ready to eat.
Here are the frugal tasks that I remember doing during the month of January -
* Gratefully received lots of bread bags. They will be used to wrap food for the freezer and to be used as bin liners.
* Made lots of gift tags using recycled Christmas cards.
* Baked wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Jessica helped me design labels to attach to bottles of handmade room sprays. This year I'll be giving some of these as gifts along with lots of other handmade gifts.
* Picked beans, raspberries and a few apricots and plums from our garden.
* Saved all the gift bags, ribbon, Christmas cards and gift tags to reuse next year. The gift tag fronts were cut off to be reused. The Christmas cards will be made into gift tags.
* Refilled the foaming hand soap pumps with diluted shower gel.
* Made up a bottle of diluted Dynamo laundry liquid.
* Made the most of the Boxing Day sales to pick up lots of presents for next year. I bought up on men's toiletry packs and aftershave.
* Kept the curtains closed as much as possible on the hot days.
* Saved the shower warm up water to keep our hydrangeas alive.
* Dried the washing on clothes horses and the line.
* Gratefully received two mangoes and two bags of shredded paper ( paper is for the chicken's nesting box )
* Used sausages left over from a bbq to make sausage casserole. I portioned it into single serve and froze for future dinners.
* Doubled the chocolate brownie recipe to make two. One was used for a dinner and the other was cut up and put in the freezer. Chocolate brownie defrosts really well and tastes like it just came out of the oven.
* Used electric fans on the warm but milder days to save on electricity.
|Our first picking of beans|
|Handmade Lavender room spray for a gift|
|Lavender starting to bloom.|