Wednesday 4 September 2019

Don't Throw Out Your Dishwashing Liquid Bottles.

At a time when many people are trying to reduce their plastic waste,  finding ways to reuse what they have is a money saver as well as reducing the  environmental  impact.

Before any plastic container is thrown into the recycling bin,  I always try to find ways to reuse it around the home.  The humble dishwashing liquid bottle is no exception. Large and small bottles can be used as follows -

*  Disinfectant comes in large bottles and is hard to pour out in measured / portioned quantities.  I decant it into dishwashing liquid bottles to use on smelly washing in the washing machine.  The squirty lid makes it easy to control the flow.

*  Decant white vinegar into a dishwashing liquid bottle to squirt into the mop bucket.  Use with boiling water to wash your floors.

*  Those large bottles of laundry liquid are heavy to use and the lids seem to leak over the outside of the bottle.  Trying to measure out one capful of liquid without it dripping everywhere is challenging to say the least.  Carefully fill up  a dishwashing liquid bottle,  screw the lid on and use the squirty lid to portion the liquid into your washing machine.  Go one step further and dilute the liquid 1 part liquid to 4 or 5 parts water for fantastic laundry savings.

*  Keep a bottle of heavily diluted dishwashing liquid in your bathroom for cleaning showers and sinks.  Super cheap and works really well.

*  Foaming hand wash is a great product to use.  Make your own by diluting shower gel 1 part gel to 4 parts water.  Store it in a large dishwashing liquid bottle for refilling your hand wash pumps around your home.



How do you reuse dishwashing liquid bottles ?

7 comments:

  1. Just in time post. I have 2 empty bottles ready to go in my recycling bin but not now. I love the vinegar floor and shower ideas. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using these bottles for laundry soap! That’s a big ‘duh’ moment for me! Thank you for sharing!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I got tired of wiping the Dynamo laundry liquid bottles from all the drips.

      Delete
  3. I do the same as you do basically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reuse mine when I go to the Nada..no waste shop in Leicester..for a small refill.A little bit more expensive,but it is thicker so a tiny dribble goes further!.I also use the same stuff...or any foamy type stuff..for washing clothes.I have 4 empty ones which Ive had for about 3 years now and water my indoor plants with them.I would love to be plastic free,but I do reuse everything I can until it is dropping to bits,lol.We dont drink fizzy pop.Only tap water or cordial,which sadly comes in plastic bottles.They are all the same size,from Aldi and I buy about 4 a month of these.So I refill them with the made up cordial for the fridge.When they start getting past their best,I make Eco bricks with them.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We buy the large bottle and refill the smaller bottle over and over. I have never thought about what to do with the larger bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My late husband would put water in one and keep it by the grill to put out the small fires that would sometimes occur when grilling meat.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.