Wednesday 17 February 2021

One Simple Way To Reduce Food Waste

 Each year,  Australians waste about 7.3 million tonnes of food with costs the economy approximately $20 billion.  That sounds like a staggering amount doesn't it.

Think of it this way.  That wastage equates to about 300 kg of food per person or one in five bags of groceries.  That's a very shocking statistic and a heck of a lot of money being thrown out.

As most of you know I'm a domestic cleaner of over 20 years.  I've cleaned many fridges over this time and I'm always shocked at how much food is abandoned ( forgotten ) by the family.  I'm not talking about a small bowl of mashed potato.  I'm talking about expensive fruits and vegetables,  convenience foods and takeaways.

There is one simple way to start reducing the food waste in your home.

FREEZE  !!  That's right,  freeze your leftovers.  At dinnertime,  as I'm serving up the meal if I can see there will be leftovers,  I get out a few takeaway containers and portion the extra food into single serves.  Once dinner is eaten the leftovers are put into the fridge to cool.  Then when the dishes are washed and the kitchen is clean,  I put the lids on the containers,  label then place in the freezer.

If you have too many vegetables in the fridge then blanch them and freeze for future eating. Sad looking fruit could be cooked ( stewed ) and either eaten within a couple of days or frozen.  Maybe make fruit icypoles or icecream with excess fruit.

Excess eggs,  cheese,  butter,  milk and cream can be frozen for future use.  Just do a Google search for the best way to freeze each item.

I'm hoping this has inspired you to use your freezer to save money and reduce the food in your fridge spoiling.


Single serves of soup for the freezer

Portioned and labelled

Chicken curry meals for the freezer


How do you reduce food wastage in your fridge ?

8 comments:

  1. Lol, we think alike. My kids know my pet pev is wasting food an throwing away things that can be composted. Recently when away and packaging up to come home I was scolded by them for even considering putting old left overs in the bin." Mum don't waste it, bring it home for the dog to eat lol" I guess they are listening after all.

    Diinaus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our freezers are jam packed and still mum wants to buy more meat. Recently I bought a dehydrator and it is amazing how small items become. We even found out dehydrated apples are better than ordinary apples. Now mum keeps buying me huge amounts produce to process...She doesn't understand time is against me if there is too much to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margie from Toronto17 February 2021 at 22:56

    I try to do this as much as possible - it can lead to some interesting meals but it's just me and it all goes down the same route!
    Yesterday I made a crumble with a bag of small appleas that had been very cheap. A few of them were starting to turn so I used what I could in the crumble and then peeled and chopped the rest, popped them into a pot with a bit of water and sugar and made a chunky apple sauce which will be put into the freezer today.
    The one thing that does occasionally get away from me is salad greens - with it just being me I have to work my way through a bag for 4 or 5 days in a row and that final serving will occasionally get away from me.
    I took some time during lockdown to go through my pantry and separate out any cans or packages that were labelled after 2021 and then put those into a back closet so I know that what is currently in my pantry cupboard is what needs to be used by the end of this year! Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found salad greens work well when scrambled with eggs or chopped finely into soup and casseroles if that helps?? Diinaus

      Delete
  4. I cook with the second meal already in mind. For instance, I peel and cook enough potatoes for 2 meals, as that is what takes the most time. We eat boiled potatoes the first day, and the second day (or the day after) we eat a meal with either fried or mashed potatoes.

    Every so often we will have a left-overs day, where each one of us eats whatever is left in the fridge, with some help from freezered items, or fresh, for instance, the last of the lettuce. Wraps are great for finishing off food items, too.

    I've realized that in many international kitchens the main food items are the same, it's the seasoning and cooking techniques that make them different. So, we have the staples always in, and can differentiate according to our tastes.
    Other major tip: don't be picky. Husband and I don't mind eating the same type of meal frequently, but sometimes a sudden urge for a certain cuisine hits, and then I'm happy we have everything on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amount of food wasted is really shocking. Aside from the cost to individuals and Countries,the addition to the worlds green house gas problems is really big.

    I agree that the freezer is our friend to make use of everything we buy. Plus to give ourselves a bit of a rest some days.

    I hate waste.

    Here we now just have 2 of us and we eat until something is finished or I freeze food for busy days.
    We also have little waste disposal units in the form of cat, dogs, chooks, 3 worm farms and large compost bins.
    In January we had a ''use it up'' month. So minimal food buying and all the pantry and freezers were cleaned out with really daggy bits and pieces making dog stew in the slow cooker. It is enough to top the dogs dry food for a few weeks and they love it.

    When I read of people spending huge amounts of their income on food for a couple of people I just wonder what on this earth they are spending money on.

    I suppose I think there is only so many beef eye fillets a person can eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good ideas. I also plan serial meals--tonight's leftover pot roast becomes tomorrows French Dip sandwiches or soup or tacos. And such. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re reading this post has inspired me. I'm currently processing 20kg of carrots and 10kg onions. The tops are going into the stock bag and the skins are getting dehydrated in the oven. Once dry they will be powdered. Once I get enough variety of skins I will blend them and add to salt for home made veg stock powder.
    Diinaus

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.