Wednesday 19 May 2021

Save The Power, Feel The Power - Part 1

 Are your electricity bills getting higher and higher each year ? Do you feel like you can't do much to reduce your usage ?  

With Winter fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere,  everyone tends to use more electricity for heating and lighting as the weather cools and daylight hours disappear.

Take back ( some ) control of your electricity bill with these tips.  The POWER is in your hands.

*  Doorbell - If you have a plug in doorbell,  turn if off at the wall overnight.  We do this just before we go to bed and turn it back on again at breakfast time.  This stops us being woken up by other doorbells in the area who are on the same frequency.  We've changed the frequency a few times but it's amazing how many people have visitors in our area at 3am.

*  Landline handsets -  If you have multiple plug in phone handsets,  turn the extra ones off overnight.  They don't need to charge 24 / 7.

*  Alarm clock -  Switch it over for a battery operated one.  You can get travel ones for just a few dollars. They take 1 x AA battery that lasts almost a year.

*  Cooking vegetables - Instead of steaming your vegetables in the microwave,  use a multi level steamer on the stovetop.  I put potato and corn on the cob down the bottom in the water and put beans,  broccoli and carrot in the top to steam. 

*  Power boards - If you have electronics like tvs and dvd players plugged into a power board,  turn it off when not in use or at least overnight.  I purchased a power board that has a switch to turn everything off at once.  




Over the next couple of weeks I'll be sharing another 10 tips on how to save electricity.  


10 comments:

  1. We try to reduce electricity costs, but also invested in solar. I have no idea what makes sense in other climates/countries, but solar was a great investment for us, and we get a lot of sun. As our climate gets warmer, it also allows us to power our air conditioning (the warmer temps provide additional solar power & thus offset the use of additional A/C)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solar works far better in the northern states of Australia. They get much more sunlight than we do in the southern states. Every little bit helps though.

      Delete
  2. Wendy, using timers is also a good way to save electricity. (But don't spend a bunch of money buying timers. Simple lamp timers are abundant and cheap at thrift stores and yard sales). I use a timer on a lamp we like to have on in the evening. I use timers on Christmas decorations. I used to have a one-hour timer that I used on my coffee pot so I wouldn't accidentally leave it on all day. When I worked, I also used a timer on the Crock Pot if I was cooking something that needed to cook only 5-6 hours. I would put in all of the ingredients cold and have the power come on an hour or so after I left for work, and go off as needed. The food would still be hot at dinnertime. I don't see any food safety issues here if the food goes in cold and doesn't sit around too long.
    --Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A timer on Christmas decorations sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it for next Christmas. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I am very pleased we do not have a door bell. Living in South East Queensland our power bill generally drops over winter. But my mother is feeling colder all the time now and I think the bill will rise this winer. Right now she has the air conditioner on reverse cycle. I am in a summer dress and my granddaughter is in a singlet and undies. The temperature outside is 20!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your mother needs to wear more clothes like thermal underwears before she turns the heating up.

      Delete
    2. Susan, Kmart have the heated throw blankets which I am sure you can order on line in Queensland. My older clients use them rather than turning the heating up and they stay nice and toasty. I have invested in one to try and reduce my heating bill too.
      Janine

      Delete
  4. Wendy how would you save on gas as I get huge gas bills in winter and I have hot water and ducted heating. My house is freezing especially overnight on our -2 degree nights .
    Janine in Colac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine I did a few posts about reducing the heating bill. Look under Thrifty Living then scroll down to Utilities.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wendy I will do that
      Janine

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.