Wednesday 1 September 2021

Furniture Makeovers - My Very First Attempt

 Earlier this year I purchased a timber chest of drawers on Marketplace for $40.  When Darren arrived home with the drawers,  I was quite surprised to find the drawers have metal runners which is a bonus.  There was a lose handle,  a little water damage on top and some sticker residue that needed removing.  Other than that,  the drawers were in pretty good condition.  I just didn't like the color.

Over the last 3 or 4 weeks I've spent many hours working on the drawers.  I've learnt to use an electric sander,  filled in little nicks and scratches and painted 2 undercoats and 3 top coats ( 4 in some places ).

Darren helped me with attaching the new handles.  I'd bought these from Bunnings before our previous lockdown.

Just as I was nearing the finish line with the drawers,  a certain little grandson thought it would be a good idea to paint his Mum's bedside table with nail polish.  Megan can't paint furniture with two little toddlers on the go so she gave the bedside table to me to restore for our use.

Late last week I finished painting both pieces and I must say,  I love the new look.  We now have beautiful furniture for our spare room.


Drawers in original condition.


Just finished sanding


The finished product


The new handles

The bedside table Megan gave us to restore


The paint I used.

Have you restored / upcycled old furniture ?


13 comments:

  1. The last time I attempted to restore furniture my ex poured sand into the paint.

    I love the work you have done. The look very nice. Again very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, a great job on the furniture and a wonderful saving. I haven't attempted any restoration but if I had time I would love to in the future. Love your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I have plenty of time in lockdown.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful job, you have great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely job! And I love the handles also. Just about all our furniture is pre loved and repurposed, the quality is usually better than 'fast' furniture, and you can have your own look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Wendy ,
    I absolutely love your restoration work on both pieces of furniture. You have done a great job .
    Do you have any other pieces you are working on or are you waiting to get out of lockdown to find more furniture or do you not need any more ?.
    Love Barb W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not working on anything else at the moment but I am eying off our kitchen stools.

      Delete
  6. They look amazing! You are very good at restoring furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, Wendy! I don't like a whole house of painted furniture but I love accent pieces. I started painting furniture about 10 years ago when we built a vacation home and discovered I really enjoy it! A couple of years ago, I repainted my childhood chest of drawers an olive green color and changed out the pulls. It is an adorable addition to our guest room, where all of the furniture is happily mismatched. I lined the drawers with wallpaper. Used some of the leftover paint to paint a little patio table. Two years ago, I sanded, re-stained and varnished just the top of our oak dining table. I dreaded this job and put it off for years. It was in terrible condition, although the legs and chairs were fine. I took the leaf to the paint store and they matched the stain color perfectly. I didn't have to use a chemical stripper to get off the old finish--an electric sander took care of that. This fall, I'm going to sand it lightly and put on two more coats of varnish (I use Varathane) because it gets hard daily use. This time, I'm actually looking forward to the job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would say your first attempt and furniture restoration was a complete success. Well done Wendy! Be careful because it becomes addictive lol.

    Hope you have a lovely weekend and that the weather is nice for you to get out in the garden.

    Love Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Wendy this looks absolutely beautiful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've refinished furniture but not to the degree of excellence that you did! I have an old chest that I would love to do this to.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.