Saturday, 20 December 2014
This Week's Frugal Tasks
Christmas Day is drawing nearer and we've almost finished our Christmas preparations. It's been busy here as I filmed a story for tv and recovered from laryngitis. Here's what I managed to do this week -
* Saved some bread bags to recycle. Jessica uses them to scoop out the kitty litter.
* Topped, tailed and cut up two colanders of beans from the garden. I've frozen them in freezer bags. I don't bother blanching them. They taste ok by just freezing them
* Made up some more foaming hand wash for both bathroms. The recipe is here Foaming Hand Wash
* Cut up the rest of the ham I bought last week. I bagged it up into sandwich portion sizes and pizza sizes and froze it for future meals.
* Started saving water from the showers again. We couldn't do it with the bathroom renos and then the big clean up. It feels great to be in the routine again.
* Made two big pots of vegetable soup. I had lots of zucchinis from the garden and some vegetables from a tv story to use up. I don't like wasting food so this is a great way to turn them into something delicious. Most of it was frozen into single serves...
* Made vanilla yoghurt using a starter I'd frozen previously.
* Kept the curtains closed on the warmer days. By doing this I didn't have to turn the evap cooling on until later in the afternoon.
* .We were abundantly blessed with an enormous ham, a leg of lamb and some vegetables this week. This was so unexpected and came at a time when I didn't feel well enough to go shopping. I also.haven't had a car all week as it's finally being repaired after the hit and run we were involved in a couple of months ago. I won't open the ham for a while as we are using up the other ham that I froze into meal sizes. We used the lamb for two main meals and sandwiches the following day.
* I started picking raspberries and freezing them for future use. I'm hoping to get enough to make some raspberry jam. SOOOOO good !!!
* Made more peanut butter choc chip biscuits. I'm so glad I had the dough in the freezer.
What frugal tasks did you complete this week ?