Monday 25 April 2016

Pumpkin Soup

With the weather turning slightly cooler,  Winter will be here before you know it.  In my house,  Winter means comfort food and soup falls into that category.  There's nothing like a big bowl of homemade soup and some crusty bread to fill an empty tummy and warm the soul.  Pumpkin will be coming into season shortly and prices will get cheaper.  Here's my pumpkin soup recipe for you to enjoy -


I smallish butternut or jap pumpkin
1 to 1 1/2 litres of boiling water
1 medium onion finely diced ( dried onion flakes can be used )
1 - 2 tablespoons of chicken stock powder
1 tablespoon of chives  fresh or dried
Pepper to taste

Scoop out the pumpkin seeds and cut off the skin. Cut into large chunks
Add the pumpkin to a large saucepan and pour in boiling water until the pumpkin is almost covered.
Add the diced onion.
Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
Add the chives.  Stir in well.
Using a stick blender,  blend the soup until smooth.
Add the chicken stock powder one tablespoon at a time and stir in well.

Serve with a dash of sour cream and chives.

Serves 4 - 6

NOTES -

*  This soup freezes well.

*  Butternut pumpkin can be bland in flavour.  If you use this pumpkin,  more stock powder may be needed.

*  This soup can be cooked in a vegetable steamer in the microwave.





9 comments:

  1. thank you Wendy, I've been looking for an easy pumpkin soup recipe.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: thought you might like to know, I made this for lunch today ....yum!! Definitely a keeper.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for letting me know Janine. I'm so glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip on butternut pumpkins tasting bland. I've wondered why the soup doesn't taste as good! I make soup often in the cooler weather. Also I serve any leftover soup over pasta for dinner the next day. My family especially love "pumpkin pasta".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I don't understand why people rave about butternut pumpkin. I don't like it but it was given to us so I wanted to use it up. Jap pumpkin is the only one I buy for roasting, soups and pumpkin scones.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy, I just love pumpkin soup and yours is the same recipe as mine, but I must try the sour cream in it, thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sour cream really adds to the flavour.

      Delete
  4. Your soup looks delicious! I have a butternut squash that needs to be used up soon and my just do this with it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I share my lazy person's guide to pumpkin soup? Instead of chopping and peeling a pumpkin, I put a pumpkin cut in half in the oven, possibly with the cut surface smeared with butter and nutmeg, and roast until it is soft and the surface is slightly caramelised and there is a luscious roast pumpkin smell through the whole house. Then I scoop the soften flesh out cook with the onion, garlic etc for a few seconds then add the stock etc

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.