Saturday 2 April 2016

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 2nd April 2016

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and spent some precious time with your loved ones.  I managed to get some rest over the Easter holiday and even spent a whole day in front of the tv watching the Royal Children's Hospital Appeal.  It was wonderful to sit and do nothing for a change.  Here's what I got up to on the other days this week -

*  Bought lots of Lindt bunnies in Kmart for $2.25 each which is half price. I stockpiled enough for all our birthdays,  Christmas stockings,  Mother's Day,  Father's Day and anniversaries for the next twelve months.

*  Made homemade pizza for dinner one night using the last of the tomatoes from the garden and some ham that was given to us.  Leftovers were eaten for lunch the next day.

*  Baked two loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.  Usually I bake more but my freezers are choc a block at the moment.

*  I baked one dozen hot cross buns.  Each year Darren makes one dozen and I make another.  It's a bit of a bake off to see who can have the nicest looking hot cross buns using the same recipe.

*  Sold two dozen eggs and two jars of tomato relish to a cleaning client.

*  Bought a top from Savers for $5.40.  Megan bought a denim skirt and a top.  We used a 10% discount stamp to get an even better price.

*  Used leftovers from the fridge to make a chicken casserole.

* Our church is having a fundraiser on Sunday.  I was able to donate some jars of jam,  soaps,  cards and biscuits from what I had on hand.  I was given lots of different teas so I packaged them up in cello bags and put a cardstock header on the packet.  I'm hoping these will sell too and make great Mother's Day presents.

*  Picked two handfuls of raspberries.

*  Darren picked two pink roses from the garden.  They smell divine.

*  Cleaned the dishwasher with vinegar and bicarb and put it on a long hot cycle to clean the pipes.

*  Used the saved kitchen water to water the raspberry plants.

*  Mended a pair of socks and Megan's school jumper.

*  Donated a bag of household items to Savers and received a discount stamp.

*  Darren and Jessica filled up their cars when petrol was around $1.02 a litre just as other petrol stations were putting their prices up.

*  Dried the washing on the clothesline.


Have I bought enough bunnies ?
Jars of jam to sell.
Gift packs of tea.
From the garden.
My hot cross buns.
What was on your frugal list this week ?


22 comments:

  1. Got petrol for 99c a litre at a local family run servo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great price. United and Liberty seem to have better prices than Coles.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely week Wendy! Your roses are glorious, and what a good feeling to be in a position to donate so generously just from what you have on hand. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mimi. Being frugal allows me to bless others when I can.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy,
    I am just wondering how you store the bunnies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I double wrap them in plastic supermarket bags and store them in the back of the wardrobe. It stays cool there as it's nowhere near a heater or external wall.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Wendy,
    My local Woolies still has some so I am going to do the same

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well! I was too late to find any marked down bunnies when I stopped at Walmart and Walgreens. Probably just as well because although my plan would be to hold them back for future gifts, I know myself and my lack of self control when it comes to chocolate in the house. ;)

    I did well finding marked down meats at the grocery store and my garden is providing me with some lovely volunteer spinach plants. I did a post today on my blog that lists even more ways I saved. :) Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll come on over the check out your list on your blog.

      Delete
  6. Dear Wendy, I hope the fundraiser is a big success tomorrow.
    Savings here weren't too bad. I felt over busy! But yesterday and today I am back to painting and really love the difference it is making and the savings. this would be costing a fortune if we were paying a painter.
    Have a great weekend! With love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, you always have a great list to share.

      Delete
  7. Wendy, I got enough chocolate for half price after Easter to last until the next half price candy sale which is Halloween. I froze some of it and vacuum sealed the rest in jars. I'll use it for gift giving, baking and the occasional treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Pastsy. Chocolate doesn't really come on sale for Halloween here. Mostly lollies do.

      Delete
  8. We have discovered the delights of home made pizza now too. I have never really liked pizza.... but the homemade version based on scone-mix for the base is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade is always best - especially pizzas. You can load them up on things you like.

      Delete
  9. Your tea packets are such a cute idea and pair well with the jam as a gift or treat. Your contributions to the church sale were so nice and no doubt much appreciated!
    Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fundraiser went well and some people want me to bring things for next week because they forgot their money.

      Delete
  10. What is the recipe for the vinegar and baking soda mixture for the dishwasher? Does it fizz up really bad when you put it in? Then, do you just run it like it was full? Mine is pretty bad, but I've never tried that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clean all the seals and door with miracle spray. Then I clean the filters with dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush. Next I slosh a couple of cups of white vinegar down the bottom of the dishwasher and fill the powder dispenser with bicarb. Turn the empty dishwasher on the longest hot cycle.

      I do this on the 1st of each month.

      Delete
  11. Hi Wendy,

    I love your gift packs of tea and your hot cross buns.

    This week I made more washing powder with two bars of soap I found I had in the wardrobe,used tank water for the washing machine. MOOed bread, orange cake and all meals. Still picking from the garden and adding to the compost. Had a roast chicken meal which did for two meals and froze leftovers for another meal. Did my shopping and came in well under the $300.00 challenge so I was able to add to the slush fund and did inventories of fridge, freezer and pantry.

    I turned down the gas hot water(as someone had turned it up), used a gift card to buy a present and DS2 used a movie voucher for the movies that he was given at Christmas.
    Dropped extras on health cover, received Electricity bill which was NIL due to solar credits, filled up on petrol at 99.5c and RACV roadside assistance renewal bill dropped as I now turned into a silver member.

    Blessed to receive Custard buns, bread and cake.
    I also got some of the Lindt bunnies for $2.25 from Target and used the little chocolate bars which I had bought on special throughout the year for easter presents for DH and DS's.

    Donating is wondering, good luck for today.

    Blessing, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I did the same for Easter in our house.

      Delete
  12. I showed your picture to my family. They laughed and looked up collective nouns for rabbits -- you've got a FLUFFLE of Bunnies!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.