Monday 5 December 2016

Egg Custard

Egg custard has been a family favourite in my family since I was a little girl.  Mum loved to make it when we were recovering from an illness.  Wind the clock forward a few decades and I've continued to make this delicious custard for Darren,  our girls and myself.  We don't wait until someone is sick though.  If we have too many eggs or milk that needs using in a hurry then egg custard is our dessert of choice.

2 eggs
600 mls of milk
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of cornflour

Extra 100mls of milk


Add the eggs,  milk and  sugar to a medium saucepan and whisk well to combine over a low / medium heat.

Using the extra milk in a cup,  add the cornflour and blend well until there are no lumps.  Add this mixture to the saucepan and whisk in well.

Continue whisking the ingredients and bring to a slow simmer.

Turn off the heat when the custard thickens.

NOTES -

*  Be careful that the heat isn't too high as the milk will catch on the bottom of the saucepan and burn.  That's why I like to whisk continually while it heats.

*  This recipe can be doubled if you need to use up more milk or eggs.

*  Great eaten hot or cold by itself or with fruit.




6 comments:

  1. Yum Wendy! Egg custard us a great childhood memory for me too. Thanks for the nostalgia! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, with jelly and tinned peaches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious,can you use full cream powdered milk,as i have lots of eggs as well as lots of powered milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it with powdered milk but I'm sure it would still work.

      Delete
  4. I made this tonight as I was looking for a very easy, affordable dessert to make for the family and with few staple ingredients as I haven't been to the shops yet. I followed the recipe exactly but found I needed to add a little more cornflower as it just wasn't thickening enough. Don't know where I was going wrong but it was a lovely custard and a hit with the family. We had it warm and I've got some in the fridge to have cold as a sneaky mum treat when the kids are in bed. It's not overly sweet at all which is nice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Wendy, I've been wanting to make custard, my husband likes the sound of this better than powdered.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.