Thursday 20 July 2017

Slashing Your Laundry Costs

If you feel your grocery bill getting out of control,  have a look at what you spend to keep your clothes and home clean.  Product marketing can be very persuasive and before you know it,  your laundry cupboard is full of bottles and wipes.   Why don't you go and have a look in the laundry ?  I'm sure you'll find something you thought would solve all your cleaning / stain / germ problems.  You were tricked weren't you ? 

I've been cleaning homes for almost 20 years.  I've used just about every wipe,  spray, powder and deodoriser under the sun.    A few work quite well but most are just expensive versions of what soap and water will do.

Here are some items your laundry could do WITHOUT -

Fabric softener.  Are our clothes and towels really that hard that we need to soften them ?.  Fabric softener is NOT good to use in the washing machine.  It eventually coats the machine's pipes and hoses leaving a sludge and smell. Microfibre material cannot be washed with fabric softener.  It coats the fibres.  A good drizzle of no name white vinegar in the final rinse will keep your clothes soft. 

Washing sanitiser.  I personally have never used it.   A drizzle of disinfectant in your washing will help to kill germs when sickness invades your home.  Drying your washing in the sun also kills germs.

*  Washing pods. You know,  those little pods of premeasured laundry liquid.  For starters they cost approximately 50 cents per load.  Compare this to home made laundry powder costing 3 cents per load.  That could be a saving of $244 per year based on 10 loads of washing per week.  With a family to keep clean,  10 loads of washing is not out of the ordinary.  Also,  are we so time poor we can't scoop out a little laundry powder into the machine ?

*  Dryer sheets.  I've never used them but I know people who do.  From my understanding they are not good for the dryer.  I worked for a lady who used them.  Her dryer broke down and the repairman said the dryer sheets were the reason..  Another option is to dry your clothes on the line,  on a clothes horse or on hangers in the shower.  Or,  put up with a little static.

Stain remover sprays.  Sure,  they might work but so does Miracle Spray and a light scrub with a toothbrush.  Soaking the soiled item before washing improves the chance of removing the stain.

Full strength laundry liquid.  We are lead to believe we need to use it at full strength to get our clothes clean.  Try diluting it by 1/3 for starters and see if you notice a difference.  If not, dilute it 50 / 50 with water.  You'll still get clean washing with a hint of fragrance.  There have been times when I can smell our neighbour's washing on the line approximately 10 metres away. 

 






12 comments:

  1. Wendy, I love the list of things we can do without in the laundry. I've been using vinegar instead of dryer sheets for years. I also love making my own laundry powder, it's actually a fun little chore for me. (Yes, those laundry pods are a huge waste of money!!) Thanks for your money-saving posts! Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making laundry powder too Teresa. I feel like I'm beating the supermarkets at their game.

      Delete
  2. This is so true! Advertising campaigns! I am amazed at the price of some of the "high end" washing detergents. People pay $20 for a bottle of laundry liquid! I cant even imagine what they are spending per year.
    Another area I have noticed that advertising has had everyone spending hugely is fruit and veggies. Remember when all we heard about was how good blueberries are for you? While true suddenly everyone (well not everyone!) was prepared to pay $6 for about thirty tiny berries. It made no sense in the weekly budget when $6 would otherwise buy several kilos of fruit. It is an interesting subject! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I saw extremely small punnets of raspberries in Aldi on Tuesday. They had a reduced sticker on them for $4.69. Most punnets had a few mouldy and juicy ones in them. I couldn't believe it. I'm so glad we grow our own and freeze the excess. Last season we picked over 4.5 kilos.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy,
    Thank you for another frugal post. I find inspiration from your tips.

    I think our Woolworths and Coles have got wind of this laundry powder recipe. I had a look at the letric soda and it is $3.99 a kg bag. Would this be what you pay? I saw cleaning vinegar for 2.99 a litre at WW. At Aldi it's $1.29!!! Thank goodness for Aldi!!

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Happy Snaps. I haven't bought Lectric soda for a couple of years. Back then it was about $3.69 - $3.89. So $3.99 seems right. I only use one cup per batch.

      Don't be fooled by cleaning vinegar. All white vinegars clean exactly the same. WW should have a no name brand for about $1.29 also. When you see it grab a couple. There have been shortages in the past year or so.

      Delete
  4. Miracle Spray is certainly good for collar and cuff grime. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see a recipe for your homemade washing powder. If I missed it would you please point me in the right direction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the recipe. It's in the cleaning section at the top of the page http://myabundantlife07.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/making-laundry-powder.html

      Delete
  6. These are all great ideas. I don't even like the way dryer sheets make your towels not absorb water. I tried making my own soap powder but eventually using it my white got really dingy and yellowed. It may have been our water. I tried the liquid but it was so wasteful and mom and the kids would overfill the little cup. I finally started really watching for sales on the pods, doubled with coupons and points from Riteaid or Walgreens. I cannot get them down to 3 cents a load but I can get them down to about 10 cents. I also use pain ivory soap with a toothbruch on stains, and soak right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all great tips. My clothesline was finally installed after living in our home for over a year. I am so excited to not run the dryer for every single load!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Wendy, a great post! I remember using fabric softener back when my boys were young. It seemed an easy way to introduce some feminine into a household full of men...lol! A couple of years ago, I started using Epsom salts, scented with a bit of essential oil instead. You put it in at the same stage as fabric softener, and it does a similar job of softening and scenting the wash. A dessertspoon is more than enough, and it costs mere cents to make and use. Just a thought :) Your advice is spot on. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.