Wednesday 7 February 2018

Silverside - Slow Cooker Style

I grew up with Silverside ( corned beef ) being cooked on the stove in a saucepan for a couple of hours.  Years later as a newly wed,  i took on this cooking practice because that was all I knew.

Years later I was given a slow cooker but no recipes to go with it.  That slow cooker sat in a kitchen cupboard unused for about nine years because I didn't know what it could do that a saucepan couldn't do.  It wasn't until I was visiting my cousin Louise in Ballarat that I discovered how to cook Silverside in the slow cooker.  Louise said the Silverside comes out tender and juicy.  I must admit I was surprised because the Silverside I'd been cooking was ok,  but a bit on the tough side.

Here's how I cook Silverside in the slow cooker -

1 piece of Silverside ( corned beef )
1 kettleful of boiling water
1 cup of brown vinegar
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon of dried onion ( or 1 fresh onion cut up )
2 tablespoons of brown or raw sugar
1 lemon cut into 8 pieces
8 whole cloves
Canola spray

*  Spray the insert of the slow cooker with canola spray.

*  Place the piece of Silverside into a preheated slow cooker.

*  Add all ingredients except the boiling water.

*  Add the boiling water until the slow cooker is almost full ( about 1 inch or 2.5cm from the top ).

*  Place the lid on top and cook for 8 - 10 hours turning the meat around in the liquid halfway through the cooking time ( if possible )

*  Remove the Silverside from the slow cooker and wrap in foil for 30 minutes to retain the juices.

*  Unwrap the meat and allow to cool slightly then place in the fridge until completely cold. 

*  Wrap in cling wrap or foil until ready to slice.


NOTES -

*  If your slow cooker cooks on a high heat ( boiling and burning ),  turn the slow cooker onto the low setting.  If it cooks on a low simmer then set the temperature on high.

*  The lemon is an optional extra but adds an amazing light citrus taste.

*  Spraying the slow cooker with canola spray helps with washing up afterwards.

*  The meat should be placed in the fridge as soon as the steam disappears. 

*  Use a good sharp knife or electric knife o cut the meat.  It will have a slightly crumbly texture due to it's tenderness.

*  Serve hot or cold with salads or hot vegetables.

*  I personally keep the meat in the fridge for two days after cooing.

*  Can be sliced and frozen for future meals.

   

8 comments:

  1. silverside with mashed potato is one of my favourite meals - I haven't done it in the slow cooker though so will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've cooked corned beef both ways, multiple times (it's on high rotation here as well, because it's relatively cheap to buy) I've gone back to cooking it on the stove top, and the trick to keeping it moist and tender when cooked on the stove is to NOT allow it to boil, bring it to a slow blipping simmer, and keep it there. When it's cooked, leave it in the pot with the heat turned off for 1 hour before serving. It comes out beautifully every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,

    I've never made Silverside in the slow cooker before , always on the stove. Must give this a try, Thanks

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always cook silverside in the slow cooker. So so easy!! And on a hot summers day it doesnt heat the house up. I want to use my slow cooker more this year as i only use it every couple of weeks. My 9yo dd has dancing until late on a monday and Tuesday this year so i think they would be good days for slow cooker meals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Corn meat (silverside or brisket), rolled roast all cook beautifully in a slow cooker. For corned meat, I use an orange instead of lemon for that sweet citrus flavour and golden syrup instead of brown sugar. It does make for a different taste. I don't bother with vinegar as my beef is only 2 years old. I think the vinegar works as a tenderiser and does leave a taste. The cooked meat will refrigerate easily 5 days, as the "corn" part is meat infused with salt so it acts as a preservative. Rolled roast is fried in a hot pan first to brown, then put in slow cooker with onion, carrot, celery, 2 cups of beef stock, half cup red wine and whatever herbs you fancy. Again7 to 9 hrs on low. The liquid makes a rich gravy. Cheers Erin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,i have come from a family of women who have cooked silverside now with my slow cooker i must make one in the slow cooker it would be lovely on a sandwich for work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I always cook it in the slow cooker - I just use cold tap water, a single clove, a tiny piece of carrot, onion, celery, a tablespoon each of brown sugar and vinegar....cook on low all day without touching it. I turn it off a couple of hours before serving and when ready to serve fish it out, slice it all up, serve with mustard sauce. Delicious with potato and cabbage. Leftovers keep very well in a container sliced. Aldi always have it $6kg so its very affordable. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been making Corned Beef in the crockpot for years. It is a real comfort food for all the family. I put washed meat in crock pot, top with water till it covers the meat and add 1 carrot diced (or carrot ends from previous meals), 1 stick celery or two handfuls of celery leaves, 1/2 small onion, 3 bay leaves and 8 black peppercorns. I make a white mustard sauce with 2 Tbps butter, 2 Tbps flour, 1 cup milk and 1 cup drained cooking water. I add 1-2 tsps of hot English mustard to taste. People that don't eat mustard always have the mustard sauce when I make it. Very frugal meal that covers two nights in our home plus lunches the next day.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.