Saturday 10 August 2019

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 10th August 2019

As you read this post,  I'm away in Tasmania with the card making group I belong to.  Four glorious days of chatting,  eating,  drinking tea,  making cards and relaxing.  One of the ladies from our group moved to Tasmania about 18 months ago and is hosting us for our very long weekend.

While I'm away,  my family members back home will ( hopefully ) be cooking up the meals I've left them in the freezer.

Here's my shorter list of frugal tasks I've completed before heading off on my little getaway -

*  Made up a triple batch of laundry powder.

*  Made two containers of dried bread crumbs from saved bread crusts.  I'll season them when my container gets low.

*  Descaled the kettle using citric acid.

*  Decorated a few department store bags to reuse as gift bags.

*  Ate freezer meals a couple of nights.

*  Saved the washing machine rinse water and shower warm up water to pour into the washing machine.

*  Baked four loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.  I wasn't due to bake bread last Monday but with me being away over the weekend I wanted the family to avoid buying from the supermarket.

*  Dried the washing on the line and clothes horses.

*  Gratefully received some lemons from a friend.

*  Froze all leftovers including gravy.

*  Picked silverbeet from the garden to add to the spag bol sauce.  I also picked fresh rosemary to add to the roast veggies one night.

Gifted lemons

Making laundry powder

Our abundant rosemary bush

Are you picking anything from your veggie garden or flower beds ? How did you save money this week ?

Due to my getaway I am unable to post your comments until Tuesday.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful time away Wendy, with friends and doing craft. Enjoy your well earnt mini holiday! Regards Robyn S.A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time in Tasmania with your friends, Wendy. I have been using spring onions, silverbeet and spinach from our garden this week plus we have just picked the first little cherry tomatoes. Lettuce is almost ready to pick too. Also:
    * had pea and ham soup and lasagne from freezer for a couple of meals this week
    * made bolognese sauce using up small amount of mince, tomato passata and stock. Added shredded spinach to this.
    * used up small amount of yogurt in pancakes for breakfast one morning
    * made a puffed rice slice + choc chip and oat cookies for afternoon teas
    * topped up petrol at much cheaper price of $1.26per L
    * looked at supermarket specials catalogues online before I shopped on Wed and found a few specials for my little stockpile
    * got $10 off Coles shop using accumulated points
    * borrowed a few books, magazines and a dvd from local library
    * found a lovely light cotton summer dress for $8 at local op-shop.
    Stay warm!
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firstly I hope you have had a restful weekend away. It would have been very cold down there.

    I had a calamity when I found a freezer oped. To be safe I threw away a lot fo frozen meat and mourn the loss of some roasts. But onwards and upwards and I was fortunate because I found some steeply discounted chicken and that replaced some of the loss. I continue to hang my washing out to dry, reuse water and make the most of the food we do have. I have preserved some of our passionfruit.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.