Thursday 8 September 2022

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 10th September 2022

 It's been a busy week for both Darren and I with our jobs.  We are grateful for the work and equally grateful for times of rest.

Here's our frugal list for the week -

*  Darren fed the compost bins with our kitchen scraps

*  Made a batch of cranberry hootycreek biscuits.  Darren requested them for a Father's Day treat.  I didn't have many cranberries left so I added some sultanas and cut up dried apricots.  Darren was still pleased with the flavour.  I baked some of the biscuits and the rest of the dough went into the freezer,

*  Used the leftover roast veggies and a little lamb from the Father's Day dinner and turned it into a flan ( impossible pie ).  I'll put a link below for a chicken flan I make that's similar.

*  Cleaned the washing machine by putting it on a long,  hot cycle.  I added Epsom salts to the wash cycle and citric acid to the rinse cycle.  I'd watch a YouTube video where a repairman cleaned a machine using citric acid.  It works for kettles so I thought I'd give it a go.

*  Baked 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.

*  Took a couple of lavender cuttings and cuttings from another plant that has silvery green foliage and white flowers.  Hopefully the cuttings will take.

*  Made a spray bottle of surface spray with cooled boiled water and kitchen detergent.

*  Sold our excess cat food and accessories on Marketplace.

*  Made a bread pudding in the slow cooker using bread crusts ( saved ends of loaves of bread ),  eggs from our chickens and my jam ( as well as other ingredients ).

*  Used the thermos each day to store excess boiling water.

*  Picked the last of the mandarins from our tree.

*  Bought a tray of strawberries ( 18 punnets x 250 g ) for $10.  So far I've made 11 1/2 jars of strawberry and apple jam.  The rest of the strawberries have been cut up and frozen for future jam making or for desserts.

*  One of my Mum's local fruit and veg shop had trays of 20 avocados for $10.  Darren wouldn't be able to eat that many in a week so another customer said she'd go halves with me.  So I go 10 avocados for $5.  I gave a few to my Mum to enjoy.

*  Collected 4 eggs from our laying chicken.  The other chicken is a freeloader.

LINKS

Strawberry And Apple Jam     

Chicken Flan

Cranberry Hootycreek Biscuits

Wholemeal Bread With Extra Goodness

My strawberry haul

Cooking strawberries and apples to make jam

Flowers from Luka and Bryson

Cranberry Hootycreek biscuits

How have you saved money this week ?


6 comments:

  1. You can freeze avocados Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberry and apple jam sounds delicious, Wendy. My mother-in-law gave me a jar of her homemade marmalade during the week which is lovely too. Work has kept me very busy this week but I was still able to do these frugal things:
    * homemade meals including veg & chickpea curry with brown rice, spaghetti bolognese, zucchini slice, chicken fajitas and a chicken, leek & pumpkin risotto.
    We were able to have leftovers a couple of nights too.
    * baked a Weetbix & Oat slice, banana muffins and chickpea & chocolate chip cookies. Froze for school/work lunchboxes.
    * made a cheesecake for Fathers' Day (it's my husband's favourite) which we had with jelly and strawberries.
    * bought fruit & veg from local market which had better prices than shops.
    * used a Coles gift card, received from a rewards program, to buy multiples of items on special that we use.
    * put on a full load of washing when the sun came out this morning.
    * ran dishwasher and washing machine when sun on our solar panels.
    * planted cuttings grown from existing plants into my garden - free!
    * watered pot plants with water left in our water bottles.
    * saved envelopes from mail to use as scrap notepaper.
    Today is a beautiful day here so I am planning on doing some gardening and some sewing. Have a lovely week!
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing and continuing to inspire us Wendy.
    The strawberries were a fantastic bargain and the lady going halves in the avocados is a huge saving. I was pleased to see strawberries for $1.69 a 250gm punnet at our Aldi. Also broccoli is now cheaper at $3.90kg which is wonderful because we eat a lot of it.
    We continue to limit unnecessary spending by taking our lunches to work. Not buying anything we don’t need or just won’t use. Using every last drop of anything and everything we consume.
    Our youngest likes to take his lunch to his weekend job to save money. I am really glad our frugality is an example to our kids. I pray it helps them later in life to manage their money well.
    Have a lovely week. Take care.
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were gifted with 7 home-grown chickens from a neighbor yesterday! I fully expected to buy some from him but he gave them to us for free since DH helped him with some haying. I will be giving him some home-made bread or other baked items as a thank you.
    Also this week we took our lunches 4 of the 5 days (1 day I didn't have leftovers to send); picked tomatoes & hot peppers every other day; froze the tomatoes as they ripened for preserving later; canned tomato sauce; baked cookies (biscuits to you) and zucchini quick bread for the week. Your flan recipe looks wonderful. I plan to make it this week, using leftover bacon or hamburger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you fort he strawberry and apple jam recipe. I used to love that jam as a child. I don't know if I will make some this year as I have many in the fridge. Also thank you for reminding me of the little things that add up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little list for the past week includes -
    > all lunches made,
    > used tanks water for the garden,
    > dug veggie scraps into the vegetable beds,
    > harvested 6 good size potatoes from the garden,
    > used leftovers by incorporating then into different meals,
    > harvested peas from the garden to add to a meal,
    > let down the hems on my daughter's uniforms,
    > kept lights to a minimum,
    > took our own food and drinks on a family outing last weekend and
    > made up more foaming hand wash.

    Have a lovely week.
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.