Saturday 20 April 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 20th April 2024

 Where has this week gone ?  A nine day week would have been appreciated with all our comings and goings.  We had a family member who's been unwell so some care giving and a couple of trips to the doctor was needed.  We both went to work,  I did the monthly food shop,  went to church and did all the housework ( on time ).

Unfortunately we haven't been able to maintain our veggie garden.  It is still giving us a few zucchinis and silverbeet which is a blessing.  Hopefully next week I'll have time to plant more potatoes.

Here's how we saved money this week -

*  I've been using the air fryer to crisp up all sorts of things like salmon patties,  the top of a cottage pie,  to reheat sausages and zucchini slices.  Usually I start the reheat process in the microwave for a minute or two then finish it off in the air fryer for another couple of minutes.  This is far quicker and cheaper than using the oven or grill part of the oven.  We've seen the savings reflected in our lower electricity bill.

*  I've picked lots of good sized feijoas from our backyard.  This year the fruit has been decently sized.  

*  I made a whole orange cake using an orange from the freezer.   This seems to soften the skin which makes it easier to blitz in the food processor.  I made a loaf cake for us to eat fresh,  6 mini loaf cakes for my Mum's freezer and 6 medium sized loaf cakes for Darren's lunchbox ( also put in the freezer ).

*  We ate a few meals from the freezer that I'd bulked cooked over the last few months.  They are wonderful for a quick,  nutritious meal on a busy day.  Usually I just need to add rice / potato or steamed veg.

*  This week we finished using up the hotel bottles of shampoo,  conditioner and shower gel.  I try to do this every couple of years to make extra room in the bathroom cupboard and to rotate our stocks.

*  We used the thermos every morning to store extra boiling water for cups of tea.

*  I make ANZAC biscuits using dough from the freezer.  Some will be used for lunchboxes,  some for a card making day and the rest will be for morning teas.  If there are any leftover,  Luka and Bryson love a homemade biscuit.

*  On Tuesday I did my monthly grocery shop.  I only spent $66 from a $140 monthly budget.  Over the next few weeks the rest of the budget will be used for milk and fruit / veg top ups as needed. Hopefully there will be money leftover to put in the slush fund.  I'll be buying beef mince in the next couple of months when Megan goes to Costco next time.  It comes in a 4.5 kilo pack so I need to start saving. 

*  Gratefully received a few oranges from a cleaning client.  The skins feel thick so I'll be juicing them.

*  The super cheap meals we ate this week were -  fried rice ( 2 nights ) @ approx. 75 cents per serve  

                                                                              -   chicken/veg soup,  muffins @ 45 cents per serve

LINKS -

Zucchini Slice

Salmon Patties

Whole Orange Cake

ANZAC Biscuits

Chunky Chicken And Veg Soup

Op shopped biscuit jar and homemade ANZACS




                                  More photos from the Melbourne Flower Show - ENJOY  !!!




Our view when we ate lunch




How have you saved money this week ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.