Saturday 12 May 2018

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 12th May 2018

Life as a thrifty mum is never dull.  My weeks are filled with various tasks that help us stretch our hard earned dollars.  Here's my frugal list for the week -

*  Made two batches of double strength Miracle Spray.  I double all the ingredients into a two litre bottle then top up with water.  When it's decanted into a spray bottle I dilute it down to normal strength.

*  Made lots of sausage rolls and mini quiches for a catering order.  While I was at it I made enough for Jessica's 21st birthday party and froze them.

*  Had the heater off for half the week when the weather was mild.  When the cold weather hit,  we kept the curtains closed and closed the doors to unused bedrooms.

*  Redeemed the voucher for a cooked chicken from Coles.

*  Fed the compost bin with lots of kitchen scraps and used tea leaves.

*  Fed lettuce leaves and bread crusts to the chickens.

*  Made a big pot of vegetable soup.  I included broccoli and cauliflower stalks to help thicken it up.  Both Jessica and Megan were given two single serves to freeze.  Darren and I ate some then we froze another six single serves.

*  Picked a handful of feijoas.  Unfortunately we won't be getting a good crop this year.  Still,  I'm very grateful for the few mouthfuls I'll get.

*  Picked white roses from our garden to brighten up the kitchen.

*  Ate freezer meals ( leftovers ) one night.

*  Converted $10 worth of Flybuys points into money.

*  Used $20 worth of vouchers from surveys to buy some groceries.

*  Found lots of great bargains in the op shop to help both girls set up their kitchens.  It's amazing how many new or near new items are donated to op shops.
  .
My small Feijoa haul.

Op shop finds

From the garden

In the kitchen.

How frugal was your week ?

Did you try a new frugal task ?


3 comments:

  1. I always love to read your frugal list, it inspires me to keep going on our journey. The open shop bargains were great, I'm sure your girls appreciate the help

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy, Wendy!!

    I flew to CA on Tuesday courtesy of a plane ticket from daughter and son-in-law! They brought me here to mentor and teach them how to buy, prepare and store food/meals! My daughter actually took notes when I was going over some basic food purchasing techniques to save money and build up their pantry!
    Then we made batches of apple cinnamon cooked oatmeal cups, sausage,egg and cheese breakfast burritos, French toast sticks and baked omelet cups for easy breakfast options to have in freezer! We also made up 3 chicken freezer meals and put 7 pounds of chicken breast in crockpot to cook up, shred and package for freezer for easy meals! All this was yesterday while walking her first grader to school and back (2 round trips) and taking preschooler to speech therapy for an hour! Today, we’ll prepare another 10 pounds of chicken breast from her freezer into convenience meals! She wants to have options that streamline breakfasts and dinners for her family of 3 little ones 7 and under and hubby ! She is seeing the $$$ savings that just a little planning and preparation ahead can give!! I am thrilled to be helping!

    While I’ve been gone, Dave sold another 4 dozen eggs which brought in another $10!
    He is also finishing another wedding tray order for a client and Jared st needs to do the final monogramming on it!
    Through savings on things and earnings, I have been able to pay down $1400 in just one month from Dave’s heart surgery bill! I had committed to paying $219/month but this is getting reduced much faster! Only about $5600 to go!
    I may have Dave buy pineapples that are on sale at home for 99 cents each and I can can up pineapple chunks for our daughter whose husband was in the hospital for almost 3 weeks and is still having dialysis 3x a week! She is back to working full time since he is on disability for 3 months before the doctors will let him go back to even light duty work. She had mentioned that they were getting lower on those!
    Dave just went to my Produce market and came home with 2 bushels of chopped greens (for chickens), bag af salad greens, bunch of bananas, 2 cauliflower, (2) 3 pound bags of broccoli all for $7.50!!! I’m so proud of him!!!
    What a gift to be able to find positive and joyful ways to save without feeling deprived!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, you list looks great!! Can you tell me whether you freeze your sausage rolls cooked or uncooked?
    Take care,
    Andrea.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.