Wednesday 23 October 2024

More Side Hustles That Earn Extra Money

 Following on from the article I wrote a few weeks ago, I have more side hustles to share.    Earning this extra money has really helped us when areas of our budget were really tight.  Gift giving and holidays are two areas that quite often benefit from my side hustles.   

*  I dig up raspberry plant runners from our garden and sell them in Spring / Summer.  I sell them for $8 but their retail value is $15.  I also give some as presents and the money I've allocated for that present  is put into other areas of our budget.

*  I've been hired for serving food at functions.  I have a cleaning client who has quite a few family occasions.  She hires me to makes sausage rolls,  slices and other treats and also pays me to serve and clean up afterwards.

*  I've done babysitting for friends.  This isn't something I've done often,  but it has paid well.

*  Mending can be a great way to earn good money and isn't too time consuming.  I've hemmed jeans,  curtains and school dresses for friends.

*  There can be a real market for home baked goods.  One of my cleaning client asks for homemade muffins a few times a year.  She has them for her morning teas and gives some to visiting grandchildren.  Occasionally she asks for mini quiches and sausage rolls too.

*  I've sold bottles of Miracle Spray to a few people.

*  I sell lots of handmade items.  These include hand knitted dish cloths,  microfibre / flannelette cleaning cloths,  Christmas decorations,  beaded angels,  bath bombs,  bookmarks,  hanging hand towels ( lots and lots of these over the years ),  decorated hand towels,  gift tags and fridge magnet pegs.

*  I've run craft afternoons showing people how to make the beaded angels.  At these afternoons I also sell the kits.

*  Darren regularly mowed the lawn of a friend many years ago.  

*  Darren has completed online surveys years ago to earn a little extra pocket money.

 LINKS -

Earn Extra Money With Side Hustles 

Hand knitted dish cloths

Mini quiches for a friend

Hand towel and soap gift sets

Homemade relish

Beaded angels.

Do you have any side hustles that earn you a little money ?


6 comments:

  1. I am a knitter but also do crochet topped hand towels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Wendy. Thanks for the inspiration. In the pretty handtowel kit did you wrap the soaps? If so, how? After a couple of years off (lost my mojo) I'm back to making soap, soap powder and cleaners.I use Rhonda Hetzels recipes and yours. 3 bars of Pears soap retails between $7 and $8 dollars here in New Zealand! I'm not paying that price. P.S I always love the glimpse of your pretty green tiles in your kitchen, especially with a vase of roses. NZ Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ingrid. The green tiles really pop don't they ?
      No I didn't wrap the soaps. They are hotel soaps and I just added a little label on the front. Yes, Pears soap is great but expensive.

      Delete
  3. Not necesarily to make money, but I do usually get something out of it; mostly food after volunteering to take home, or to eat on the spot. I'm great at making nice new meals from all sorts of leftovers. Or I learn a new skill by volunteering to help at a workshop, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxine aka mikemax24 October 2024 at 09:02

    Interesting that you wrote about side hustles today. A friend and I discussed this last night and this morning! She is having foot surgery in a few weeks that will keep her off her feet and off work for 3-6 months. She has a very low income during the best of times and she will have no income during her recuperation. Her savings are almost gone. Fortunately, she rents out her upstairs, but living off this amount doesn't even work on paper for very long. So, any suggestions for side hustles from you or your readers are going to be VERY appreciated.

    Now I have a question for you, Wendy. What size freezer containers do you use for single and double serves? Dimensions would be very helpful. I realize we may not have the same brands in the USA as you do, but I might be able to find them online if you could tell me the brand. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maxine. Is your friend crafty ? If so, knitted dish cloths are ' on trend " at the moment. Or microfibre cleaning cloths with a flannelette backing. Jar mixes for brownies, cookies etc etc. Dehydrated fruits are very popular. A jar of dehydrated lemons sells for $25 in the fancy foodie shops. Another option is to cut her expenses down. Buying ingredients, making your own really helps. Perhaps point her to my blog. I have heaps of articles on cutting expenses.

      The containers I use are about 10cm x 15cm for single serves. The brand is Starmaid but it's no longer available in Australia. I use good quality takeaway food containers for double serves.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.