Wednesday 21 March 2018

Reusing Old Socks

Just about every household has a collection of odd socks.  It seems such a shame to throw out perfectly good socks just because the pair is missing.  How about those old socks that are getting thin,  or the ones you don't like anymore ?

 Here are a few ideas to give the socks a new lease on life -

*  Old socks make great dusters for skirting boards and table tops.  Just pull the sock over your hand and dust away.

*  Use old socks,  odd buttons and a few pieces of wool to make a hand puppet for your littlies.

*  Store safety googles / glasses in a sock to prevent scratching in the garage.

*  Use old socks to cover golf clubs to prevent scratching.

*  Make a soap pouch for outdoor hand washing.  Just place a bar of soap inside an old sock,  close it up with a knot and hang it from the tap.

*  Slip a sock over an ice pack to prevent freezer burn.


5 comments:

  1. I love this post, my favourite type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quirky post! I put the old socks into a bag for recycling, as old materials are made into 'shoddy' by the textiles industry and then made into fabric again (well, so I understand.) But I love the ideas you have given us here. Thank you.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fill old cotton socks with rice and tie the end. You can heat in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes to make a hot pack for aching joints or to put in the foot of the bed to warm your feet. Watch when you microwave, if it starts to smoke take out, it was not 100% cotton and could catch on fire.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy,
    Odd socks become my gardening socks and I just wear them- mismatched!
    Cheers Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an old slipper sock that I use on my Swiffer. It works great. I cut up old holey socks and use them to tie up my tomato plants. They stretch as the plant grows so it doesn't hurt the plant.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.