Tuesday 23 September 2014

Chunky Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup

I love homemade soups.  They are quick and easy and taste so much better than anything you can get in a can. Making them yourself eliminates  the need for artificial preservatives,  colorings and flavourings.  You know exactly what is in the soup and can change the flavour and ingredients to suit your needs and diet.  It's also a great way to add or hide vegetables that your kids might not normally eat.

The first time I make this soup I looked up a few recipes on the internet.  I combined a them to make my own.  Megan,  my daughter asked me to add extra vegetables to make it chunky.

Here's Megan's and my recipe -

1.5 litres of chicken stock. 
! x  420g tin of creamed corn
1 x  400g tin of corn kernels
2 cups of cooked chicken bits or two small chicken fillets cubed and cooked
4 - 5 medium potatoes peeled and diced
2 medium carrots,  peeled and diced
2 teaspoons of dried ginger
2 sticks of celery, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons of dried onion flakes or 1 small onion  finely chopped
75mls of soy sauce or two good dashes
1 tablespoon of dried or fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 packet of crushed 2 minute noodles ( no flavouring ) or three egg whites

Add all ingredients except the noodles or egg whites to a large saucepan.  Cook until the carrots and potatoes are just soft - about 1/2 an hour. 

Add the crushed noodles and stir through.  Cook for a further 2 minutes.  If adding the egg whites instead,  lightly beat them in a measuring jug and slowly pour into the soup as you stir.

Serves 6 - 8

Can be frozen.

Notes -

*  Add extra potatoes or carrots if the soup doesn't look thick enough.

*  I use Aldi tins of creamed corn and corn kernels.  No name brands work well.

*  I make the chicken stock in the slow cooker using chicken bones or frame with a couple of bay leaves.  Then I freeze it for future use.

*  If the soup needs more flavour,  add a tablespoon of chicken stock powder.

*  You can add whatever vegetables you like.


Chunky Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup 

15 comments:

  1. Morning Wendy, thank you both for this recipe. I think Megan is going to follow in your foot steps of being a delicious cook of making something simple go gourmet! It is our 19th wedding anniversary today and we are going to have Salmon Pasta one of my absolute favourite dishes, it has cabbage in it and goes a long way, but I'm going to give the chicken & courn soup ago tomorrow night! I wish you all the very best for the next couple of days Wendy and I hope that I one day get to meet you if you are ever in Sydney. Like yourself when you were meeting Cath Armstrong, will be very tongue tied and have so much to say that I will end up blurted out goodness knows what! I definitely have a story to tell on my frugal journey and how we got where we are today and I really hope I get to tell it to you. You will be in my prayers for your ACA journey. Warmest Simone xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy wedding anniversary for the other day Simone! Wow 19 years is a massive achievement! Cant wait until hubby and I can celebrate that! Bit far away seen as we only just celebrated our first one earlier this year lol. Kayla :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I hope you have a great day.

    I'll let you know if I'm ever in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very delicious Wendy, I think my family would enjoy something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo...something to add to my next menu planner! Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wendy just what I need to make over the next few days as Melbournes weather is turning into soup weather. Safe travels over the next few days, cant wait to see you on ACA again, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that recipe, Wendy. It has warmed up here in SE Qld so salads have released soup but it is always good to have some new recipes up my sleeve for next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. How long can I freeze it for

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't last long in my freezer as the family loves to eat it. I've frozen soup for up to a year. Just make sure you double bag / wrap it.

      Delete
  8. Hi Wendy
    Do you think it would be cheaper to use corn from the garden? I'm currently growing some and was planning on freezing them as soon as their ready but would love to use them for all sorts rather then just corn cobs
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are already growing the corn then yes it's cheaper. You're saving about 90 cents per tin each time you make the soup.

      Delete
  9. Thanks heaps wendy your such an inspiration! I wish I had someone like you forever in my life! Hahaha :) I have 4 kids and one on the way and am just staring to do all those awesome things I have seen on tv like watering down the dishwashing liquid haha :) next will be the washing powder :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this recipe, making it today with stock from chicken carcass! Thankyou Wendy. Marie

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.