Sunday 14 September 2014

Gravy Powder

I've tried making my own gravy powder a few different ways with varying degrees of success.  Some were too bland and some were too light in color that I felt compelled to add soy sauce to darken it.  The best one I've tried is to make my own and mix it with store bought no name gravy powder.  It's the best of both worlds.  It cheaper than no name and reduces the amount of artificial ingredients.

Here's the recipe -

150 grams of no name gravy powder
6 really heaped dessert spoons of plain white flour
2 tablespoons of dried onion flakes
1 tablespoon of onion powder
1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon of sweet paprika ( normal variety )
2 reasonably heaped dessert spoons of beef stock powder
2 teaspoons of celery powder
1 1/2 tablespoons of dried parsley
2 teaspoons of salt
good shake of pepper

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl and store in an airtight container.
To make it up add 2 - 3 tablespoons of gravy powder mix to 1 or 1 1/2 cups of cold water.  Stir or whisk until it's hot and thickens.

Total cost to make 470 grams is about $2.  This makes more than the standard box of no name gravy which is 425 grams.

Dry ingredients

The finished products

15 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks Wendy for the extra post. This is just another thing I can cross off the shopping list.Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. As generic items can differ between Coles and Woolworths, which one do you use ? or do you use Aldi's ?
    Is your dessertspoon equal to two teaspoons / 10g ?
    Is your normal Paprika Sweet rather than Hot ?
    When you blend with water is the water cold which you then bring to boil and thicken in a pan, or hot which you blend until thickened in gravy boat ?

    Sorry to be so fussy, but I had a bad experience with a NZ recipe, their 15 ml tablespoon and Chilli powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy the Coles brand. If memory serves me, the Aldi one dissappeared for a while. The dessert spoon is almost the same as a soup spoon or about the same as a tablespoon. Sorry, I'm not one for accurate measurements unless it's baking and desserts.

      I use normal sweet paprika not hot. I use cold water and whisk away in a small saucepan until it's hot and thick..

      Delete
    2. Two teaspoons (tsp) equals one desertspoon (dstsp)
      (desertspoon is the one u eat e.g. Sweet,desert, pudding, cereal with)
      two desertspoon equals one Tablespoon (Tblsp)

      Delete
    3. Your dessert spoons must be small compared to mine..

      Delete
  3. Thanks Wendy. I'm going to make this gravy powder. It's always reassuring to receive a recipe that has been tried and found true. We reap the rewards of your efforts. Thanks again. Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic recipe Wendy, I will certainly be giving this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that Wendy. Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, could you please give quantities of mix to water to make up gravy. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks so much. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quantities are above. It's 2 - 3 tablespoons to 1 or 1 1/2 cups of cold water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops sorry I read the recipe with excitement that it didn't all sink in properly until I've now re- read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can anyone tell me where to buy celery powder ? have checked Coles, Woolworths and Tasman Meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine from Hindustan Imports in Dandenong. Any herb and spice shop should stock it.

      Delete
  10. I do my gravy along the lines of Cheese sauce i melt some butter add flour and seasonings much like above , add pan juices with broth (Homemade /or salt reduced) and whisk in stirring every so often till my desired thickness and serve up, family loves it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.