Tuesday 30 September 2014

Lemon Butter

Growing up lemon butter was one of the spreads I enjoyed on my toast for breakfast.  It was an occasional treat that my Mum bought in a jar from the supermarket.  Years later I'm married with my own home and family.  I couldn't afford to buy lemon butter as it just didn't fit into our tight budget. 
That was until I came across Cath Armstrong's recipe on her website The Cheapskate's Club.  Now I'm in heaven  !!!  It takes six minutes in the microwave to make.  Best of all,  I have a fruiting lemon tree and chickens to give me free eggs.  It costs less than $1 to make a large jar.

125 grams of butter
1 cup of castor sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup of lemon juice

Beat the eggs with an electric beater in a medium microwavable bowl until light and fluffy.

Add the sugar half a cup at a time to the eggs and beat well until the sugar has dissolved.

Stir in the lemon juice.

Melt the butter and pour it into the egg mixture.  Mix it in well.

Cook the mixture in the microwave for two minutes on high.  Beat the mixture well.

Microwave for another two minutes and mix again.

Microwave for another two minutes again and stir gently as the lemon butter will be boiling hot.

Pour into sterilised hot jars and screw the lid on straight away.  When the jars are cool,  store in the fridge for up to two weeks.  As the lemon butter cools it thickens up really well like a spread.


NOTES -

*  If you like your lemon butter really tangy,  add a little extra lemon juice.

*  Frozen lemon juice can be used ( that's what I use all the time ).

*  To sterilise the jars,  boil the jars and lids in a saucepan with water while you are making the lemon butter.  If you were making jam I'd suggest the oven method for sterilising jars.

*  Normal white sugar can be used.  I use it when I've run out of castor sugar.

*  It's great on toast,  in sandwiches,  on scones or can be used in little tart shells for a yummy dessert.

 
Lemon butter for any occasion
Beating the eggs

Adding the sugar

8 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy, I remember Lemon Butter also as a child but I think it must have been only for special occasions as my Mum would also make it around Christmas. I can't believe how easy the recipe looks, will have to give it a go. Thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites too yum! This is a pretty simple recipe you provided, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just making this now. What a super easy recipe and it smells delicious. Can't wait to taste it. Love reading your posts. Thanks so much Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made it now was flicking through while i was looking around the web to try and save money im a younge mum (22) my son is five having a hard time finding a job my partner works fulltime so living on one income and FTB has been real tough especially saving for our son schooling next year among other things atm we have put the thought of ever affording our own home aside. we dont owe no debts so thats not a worry but the never ending soaring prices of petrol, food (name brands), rent, gas and electricity we just find ourselves crunching the numbers every month. we might find ourselves with $30 left. atm our food bill sits at 150-200 for the fortnight we dont buy meat to 250-300 we do. it just seems we could be saving ourselves a few extra dollars trying to eat seasonly and home made. well i start off with this recipe as i have a couple fresh lemons sitting there and a estimate a $1 a jar is a great save as i just ran out (i buy it occasionally).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it Vic Mum.

      I'm sure you'll find lots of ways to save money. My family has lived on the equivalent of one low income and FTB. We were able to pay of our remaining $100,000 mortgage and $27,000 car in five years.

      Please feel free to join in the frugal tasks post each week.

      Delete
  5. Hi Wendy, I do not have a microwave. Could I do this on the stove top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it on the stove top. I haven't done it that way but from what I've been told, you need to put a steel bowl over the saucepan and cook it slowly. I think it takes about an hour.

      Perhaps you could use a friend's microwave and do a few batches together.

      Delete
  6. Hi Wendy,I have'nt bought lemon spread in years because it's just too expensive and so are fresh lemons here in Canada but I love the stuff.I decided to try your recipe this morning but substituting 3 Tbsp. of the bottled generic brand lemon juice and it turned out perfect!I had tried three different recipes and been disappointed because they were way too tart and the texture wasn't right but your recipe is definitely a keeper,thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.