Tuesday 9 September 2014

Lunchbox Chocolate Choc Chip Muffins

Making muffins was the very first baked item I learnt to make as a newlywed nineteen years ago.  Back then I started my baking passion by using a packet mix.  The flavour was vanilla and I made it exactly as the packet said to.  The next time I made them I added choc chips.  The next time I added choc chips and cocoa.  The fourth time I added a little oil to the other added ingredients.

These days I make my own from scratch.  I found a recipe on the internet back in 2002 and as usual,  I changed the recipe around to suit my family's tastes.  They are delicious and because they are chocolate you can hide black chia seeds,  linseed meal,  oat bran and lots of other goodies to make them healthier.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do

3 cups of self raising flour
1 cup of sugar
4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups of milk
2 eggs
150 grams of melted butter
3/4 cup of chocolate chips / bits

Turn the oven on to 180 degrees.
In a large bowl mix the flour,  sugar and sifted cocoa powder.
Add the milk,  melted butter and eggs.  Mix until just combined.
Add the chocolate bits and mix until combined.
Place spoonfuls into greased muffins tins or use patty cases. 
Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until the tops spring back when touched.
Remove from the muffin tins when slightly cool.

Makes about 20 medium muffins or about 30 small muffins.

Notes -

*  These muffins freeze well.  Add them frozen to your kid's lunchboxes and they'll be thawed by morning break time.

*  To add extra goodness,  mix two tablespoons each of black chia seeds,  linseed meal and oat bran to the dry ingredients.  Kids will love them as the muffins are slightly crunchy.  You might need to add a little extra milk if the mixture is too stiff.

*  For vanilla muffins omit the choc chips and cocoa powder.  Add two teaspoons of vanilla extract.

*  These muffins are great for kids birthday parties.  Ice with different colored icing and top with smarties,  sprinkles,  coconut or crushed nuts.



A plate full of lunchbox muffins

Making the muffins

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Wendy! They look awesomely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy, funny you should post this today as I was just going to make some of these today especially for my sick 16 year old to cheer him up, Thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, Do you use normal white sugar in these or castor sugar? And is the 180○c for the oven, is that without the fan? Thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usr to use raw sugar in the muffins. Now that we have cut our budget I use no name white sugar. The 180c is for a normal electric oven - no fan.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for that Wendy. I made them and the Cranberry Hootie bickies today for my sick 16 yr old and he was cheered up no end especially when he could smell the beautiful aromas coming from the kitchen. Thanks Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thjere is nothing like the aroma of home baking. My girls drool when they come home from school and smell my baking. It makes them happy too.

      Delete
  5. They look delicious! So great of you to be sharing all your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy, DELICIOUS! Out of my partner and I, I am normally the cook but I've never baked before, she normally does the baking and the sweet stuff. So I decided to bake for the first time today using this recipe. The result was my partner saying that this was one of the best chocolate muffins that she has ever had -- and being a sweet tooth she has tried many! This recipe made plenty so we shared it with our neighbours, our parents and even our mortgage broker who we went to see today. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you liked them. I'm making more today as my girls go back to school tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Hi Wendy,i made these and they didn't last long, do you happen to have a muesli bar recipe. Thanks for sharing your saving tips

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.