Monday 21 September 2015

Biscuits For Presents

I just love homemade biscuits.  They are delicious,  decadent and absolutely yummy with a cup of tea.  More importantly,  they are very frugal to make.

Whenever I'm stuck for a present,  homemade baking comes to the rescue.  My favourite biscuits to give are Cranberry Hootycreek biscuits, Anzac biscuits and Peanut Butter Choc Chip Biscuits.

For hungry teenage boys I've made giant Peanut Butter Choc Chip Biscuits.  I place a large amount of dough on a lined baking tray,  flatten out with the palm of my hand then neaten the edges with my fingers to give a lovely round shape.  They do need a few extra minutes for baking.  I place 2 or 3 in a large cellophane bag tied with a tartan ribbon  Placed in a gift bag with a can of Lynx deodorant,  it makes a great male birthday present. for about $5  Let me tell you,  birthday boys have gratefully received these giant biscuits.  One of Jessica's friends bought one to school in his lunchbox and woofed it down at recess.  His friends were drooling.

Sometimes when I get a present out to wrap,  it looks like it needs something extra.  That's when I whip out a log of biscuit dough from the freezer and do some baking.  Neatly placing 8 - 10 medium sized biscuits in a large cellophane bag and tying a bow with ribbon,  lace or netting  achieves an elegant present worth $10 - $15 retail.  Realistically it costs less than $1 to make.

For a family present or Kris Kringle,  I buy glass jars from the $2 shop and fill with homemade biscuits.  I print out the recipe and place it in an envelope and tie it to the lid.  You can add a small decoration or garland to the bow to add extra style.    

Here are some photos of biscuit presents I've made -

A male Christmas present.




.A jar of biscuits from the Christmas story I filmed last year.  Total cost of this present was about $3 - $3.50



 

Presents tied with homemade gift tags and ribbon made from netting -







Here is a link to a blog post I wrote on making gift tags.
  

18 comments:

  1. I'm perfecting my biscuits over the next few weeks to send to friends and family who live interstate for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy I couldn't agree more. I saw in Myer, a large jar of jam drops, for $40. I nearly fainted. $40!!! Insane. These are a great gift and always welcomed. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mimi the biscuits are always stale and fake tasting - erk! I can't believe people buy them. The jars look pretty though so I've mastered taking a photo on my phone and downloading it into a folder at home so I can find the idea again when I want it.

      Melting moments are my favourite biscuit to give, old fashioned favourite that is so easy to make and cheap to boot, they always go over well.

      Delete
    2. Lol Cath. I've never shelled out the $40 to try them, but I have been gifted an assortment of nasty 'hampers' over the years....all prepackaged and yes, stale...ugh! Your bikkies look so much nicer Wendy. Thanks for sharing this one at Five Star Frugal. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Wendy, your bikkies are delicious and have been a big hit in our household. I am wondering where you get cellophane bags from? I would love to make some of these gifts for Christmas.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the cellophane bags from the $2 and $2+ shops. They come in a few sizes. I use the larger bag.

      Delete
  4. Hi Wendy,

    Love homemade bickies and I love giving them as presents which I have only started recently.
    I also give the above bickies and Jam drops and Choc chip (from Cheapskates recipe file).
    Great Idea for the giant bickie (I've seen these at Mrs Field's shop, very expensive). I have lots of young males to buy for as both boys get invited to parties during the year, so I will be doing this next time.
    Also great to give as teacher presents, especially male teachers.
    All your bickies look gorgeous, xxx

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, Your biscuits look like what we call cookies here in the U.S. Your packaging is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I do a cake or biscuits and they make such good gifts.
    In October I do Christmas cakes in muffin trays to give as individual sized cakes. They keep a year so I can do them ahead. They are so handy.
    My easiest biscuits are giant and filling a pizza pan. Before cold I score it into 8 but leave it whole. Like a pizza. Then wrap,with cellophane. Shortbread is good this way. Very quick but impressive. Always a hit! My best biscuits are gingerbread or shortbread.
    I agree they are the perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely idea and one I am going to add to my present list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, cookies here in the U.S.! When I first started reading, I thought, "biscuits as gifts?" Here, biscuits are a bread type product, small and round that we put butter and perhaps jelly on. Kinda funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, your biscuits are what we call scones. Your jelly is called jam here. Jelly here in Australia is what you call jello. Lots of fun !!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Wendy,

    I love your peanut butter choc chip bikkies. Bought some jars of peanut butter on half price only to make those.

    Thanks for inspiring us to give homemade gifts. My mom used to do this a lot but my hubby prefers to give store-bought stuff or gift vouchers as presents, so I hardly get any chance to give homemade presents. Knowing him, I don't want to let him go alone to buy presents as he would spend much more than he should on them.

    The other day he had to attend a party but he was extremely busy and didn't have the time to go out looking for a present. Actually he remembered it the day before while checking the calendar. I was not well to attend it but well enough to hang around in my kitchen. So I baked a cake, wrapped it beautifully as mom does and gave it to him. He looked happy and I managed to save a small fortune. Keeping my fingers crossed he would appreciate this to do more often.

    I've been making my own cards too but not tags yet. Time to start.

    Thank you.
    Best regards,
    Millie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie, I'm hoping your cake is the start of many more homemade presents.

      Delete
  10. Homemade biscuits for gifts are so wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pretty packaging too.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.