Monday 28 September 2015

Whole Orange Cake

This cake uses the whole orange - yes,  rind and all.  To save costs,  buy oranges in Winter when they are cheap,  whiz in the food processor and freeze in containers.   The fragrance of this cake is just lovely and the texture is rustic.  There's nothing artificial and the flavour is real.

1 whole orange cut into eighths
1  cup of  sugar
3 eggs
1 cup of Canola oil or 1/2 and 1/2 with olive oil
2 cups SR flour

In a food processor whiz one whole orange.  Make sure there are no pips.

Add the eggs,  sugar and oil and whiz until well combined
.
Add the flour and whiz again.

Pour into a large greased fluted ring cake tin or two medium loaf tins

Bake in a 180 degrees Celsius oven for about 40 minutes until  the middle springs back
.
Turn onto a cake rack when cool


This cake can be iced with lemon icing and dusted with coconut.

Notes -

*  This cake freezes well without the icing.

* The batter can be made into cupcakes.


18 comments:

  1. Good morning Wendy,

    I just love Orange cake with a cuppa. Could you do the same but for Lemon?

    Thanks, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I'll see if Cheapskates has a recipe for a whole lemon cake.

      Delete
  2. Do you mean whiz with skin as well? Or peel then whiz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, skin and all. The whole orange ( except pips and the little green end bits ).

      Delete
  3. This sounds delicious Wendy! Are the pips, the seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks yum Wendy, does it go bitter with the peel in it. i always worry about that lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't too keen on this when I last tried it. Might have a go with a couple of tangerines or clementines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a winner to me Wendy. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this recipe. I've seen it in your photos and it looks lovely. it seems easy to make too. I have some poppy seeds in the pantry so I'll throw some of those in too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a simple and effective recipe - this one looks like it is just that. so many recipe these days are so complicated with the result hardly worth the fussing. 5 ingredients and a deft hand does the trick on this one however :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whole orange cake has been a family favourite in our house for many years. I previously used butter, but have switched to oil when I make it now. This cake is so simple to make, thank you for reminding me what a great recipe this one really is!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I read the recommended baking temperature correctly--180-? I don't recall ever seeing a cake baked at that low of a temperature. Just want to double check to be sure if 180 is right. Thanks Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 180 degrees Celsius. I'm in Australia.

      Delete
  11. I am going to have to try this one! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy

    I have just made a double batch of these yummy cakes as mini's and cupcake size......wow they are delicious with out the icing. DP plans to take some to work with him and I will be putting them into DD5's lunch box as she just loves them

    This used up 2 oranges that were getting past it and no one wanted to eat, so thanks for sharing the recipe

    Aly xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.