None of these things happen by chance. I'm not a last minute, wrap the presents and plan the menu on Christmas Eve type of person. Christmas Eve is when I sit back, relax, watch the Carols by Candlelight or maybe even walk to the Carols celebration nearby. Infact, most of December I sit back relax and watch people go crazy trying to get everything organised.
As you know, I'm a list writer and planner. I shop all year round to make the most of the sales and to help keep my gift giving budget under control.
If you haven't started any Christmas planning, now is the time to get moving. Here's how to plan your Christmas celebrations
Presents -* Make a list of everyone you are buying for.
* Set a dollar amount per person.
* Review your list and cut back
* Write down gift ideas for each person
* Put the list in your purse / wallet
* Start shopping now and look for ways to save a few dollars.
* Make any presents you can
* Make biscuit / cookie dough now and freeze into log sizes for future baking to give as presents.
* Sew, knit, crochet or make presents when you get a few spare moments.
* Check your wrapping paper, gift tag and sticky tape supplies and buy what's needed
* Wrap as you buy and put straight under the tree ( or hide them if needed )
* Keep all receipts in a marked envelope in case of future returns.
Christmas Cards -* Write a list of people you'd like to give a card to.
* Write a list of cards to be sent
* Make or buy your cards
* Buy the postage stamps to send the cards.
* Write a few each night as you are watching tv.
* Send any overseas cards by early December.
Christmas Menu -* Write a list of how many people might be coming.
* Write out a menu for lunch and dinner that caters for the numbers coming.
* Cut back a little on the food. There's always too many leftovers
* Ask family and friends to help out with the catering by bringing a plate.
* Write a list for Christmas Eve treats and Boxing Day grazing
* Start buying the meat ahead of time to freeze
* Watch the supermarket catalogues for sale items especially snacks
* Clean out your fridge
Christmas Decorating -* Dig out the Christmas tree and check for damage / wear. Buy a new one NOW if needed.
* Check your decorations. Do you need to update or buy new ones ?
* Decide on a color scheme.
* Decide how you'll decorate your tables. Have a look at what you already have on hand and use that first.
* Wash the table cloths ready for use. Do your table runners need a wash ?
* Buy candles, serviettes, cutlery, paper plates and bon bons.
* Check your extra tables / trestle tables for damage. Do you need to buy a new one. Give them a wipe over.
* Declutter your home.
|Color schemes for the tree|
|Table decorations using what I already had|
|Leftover decorations make great table displays|
|Decorating the house|
|Christmas Eve platter|
|Making my own gift tags.|
Here are the links to other Christmas articles I've written