Monday 27 July 2015

Cobbler Dessert

This is a wonderful Winter warming dessert.  I originally heard about this dessert on the Oprah show years ago when she popped into her neighbour's house unannounced.  They were having this dessert with their meal that night.  So I googled it and came up with my version of this American favourite. 

1 x 410 gram tin of fruit in juice or stewed fruit
1 cup of SR flour
1/3 of a cup of sugar ( white or raw )
About 1  1/2 cups of milk - enough to make it a slightly runny batter

optional extras - 
chopped walnuts
cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top,
sultanas or other dried fruit.

Lightly grease a medium casserole dish.

Empty slightly drained tin of fruit into a casserole dish, cutting up any large pieces.
In a mixing bowl mix the flour, sugar and milk until it's a smooth, slightly runny batter.

Pour evenly over fruit and sprinkle with nuts,  cinnamon and sugar.
Bake on 180 degree Celsius for 40 mins. Serve with cream,  ice cream or custard.


NOTES -

*  A couple of weeks ago I made a cobbler using stewed apple from the freezer.  It was a big hit with the family.  Darren said it tasted like apple pie.

*  Other fruit I've used with success are plums ( make sure you take the stone out ), peaches,  apricots and pears.

*  This dessert can be cooked 2 - 3 days ahead of time and reheated as needed.

*  If you don't have any tinned fruit,  grab a couple of apples ( even the wrinkly ones ),  peel,  cut and slice into a casserole dish.  Cover with cling wrap and cook in the microwave on high for about three minutes.  Then pour the batter over the top.




7 comments:

  1. What a yummy, easy Winter dessert Wendy. Pinned and saved. The old fashioned recipes really are the best, aren't they. Yum! Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi wendy.. looks delicious! !!
    I am making a bottle of your miracle spray today!!
    Will let you know how i go!!!
    Kathleen
    Western australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this!
    I should have saved half of my stewed apples to give this one a go but that's ok, can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dessert is really cheap if you use old fruit and stew them.

      Delete
    2. Yes absolutely,
      The apples that I ended up stewing were bought at least a month or more back (I think I posted it in a frugal task one week) they were still pretty good although it does make me wonder how long they kept the fruit for before I actually purchased it :S

      Delete
  4. Yum Wendy, i just love Apple desserts (and Lemon). I don't think i have ever had Apple cobbler as i have only had Peach cobbler, must try. I made your Apple crumble last night, big hit, yummy, thanks
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great and cheap recipe Wendy, I'll make this one tomorrow.


    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.