Wednesday 8 July 2015

Happy 1st Blog Anniversary

Happy 1st Blog Anniversary.  It was one year ago today that Darren and I ventured over to our friend Tanya's place to set up this blog.  About a year earlier I'd been tossing up the idea of starting a blog and wondering if I had anything of interest to say and if anyone would take the time to read it. Then my family's story appeared on A Current Affair back in June 2014 and Tanya had a quiet word to me saying that I needed to get my blog going because people would be googling me.  I still laugh at that now - PEOPLE GOOGLING - ME  !!!!

So that cold Winter's night Tanya helped me set up this blog.  I'm very tech challenged but Tanya was gentle with me and wrote instructions down so that when I was on my own,  I could keep the blog running.  Thinking of a name was the first challenge.  I knew I wanted the word " abundance or abundant " in the title and after a bit of research I came up with the name My Abundant Life.   It describes my family's life to a " T ".  Not abundance of money,  but abundance of blessings that fill our lives with joy.  God's abundance and God's joy.

Tanya then talked me into two facebook pages.  I was not a big fan as I'd seen so much rubbish, bullying and time wasting through this area of the media.  Once again,  Tanya said that people needed to be able to find me.  To say that I was nervous was an understatement.  Who was going to find me ???  Mmmmm  !!!!

So my blog and two facebook pages made their debut that night and a whole new world opened up to me.  My first few posts were a bit clunky and awkward and I had to learn to use my family's digital camera to take half decent photos.  It was and still is a big learning curve.

I remember getting excited the next day to see that a few people had looked at my blog and taken the time to post a comment.  To this day I'm very grateful for every comment made.

Within a few weeks I started checking out other people's blogs that had the same simple living theme to mine.  I found the same people commenting on each others blogs so I took the plunge and introduced myself.  I was excited to see others living like I do with the same values.  These blog writers have now become firm friends.  We email each other,  we pray for each other and most importantly,  we've created a community that cares.

Annabel from The Bluebirds Are Nesting became one of my first blogger friends.  She has a generous spirit and is full of encouragement.  Her card making posts led me to start making my own cards.  We pray for each other and I know when my life is hectic,  she cares.    One of her parcels arrived in the mail when I was filming a story.  Ben the reporter wanted to know if it was from a fan or stalker.  I proudly said it was from a blog friend.  I wanted to stop filming right there and then to see what was in the parcel ( her tea towels,  wrapped soap,  face washer / dish cloth and other things .  Have a look on her blog ).

Since then I've connected with Tania from Outback Tania.  She lives on the edge of the outback in South Australia and grows lots of veggies and fruit.

Joolz from Simply Joolz loves to cook and bake and I just love looking.  She's posted some of my recipes on her blog and others are using my recipes.  How exciting.

There's Mimi from A Tray Of Bliss and  Brandy The Prudent Homemaker.  Lately I found a blog called A Working Pantry.  Patsi loves to stockpile and stockpiling is one of my favourite subjects.

Cath from The Cheapskates Club has been a wonderful supporter of everything I do.  We are blogger friends and real life friends who share the same values and way of life.  It's like we've been cut from the same cloth.

Most importantly,  I'm very grateful for the friends I've made here on my blog.  I'm grateful for the amazing community we've created ( how awesome is that ? )  I'm gobsmacked that you cook and bake my recipes and love the food as much as Darren and my girls do. I'm grateful that you share your frugal tips with others.   I'm grateful for the spirit of encouragement over this blog.  My goal was ( and still is ) to offer hope to those who are struggling financially or wanting to live a more fulfilling life  I wanted to show that saving money isn't about penny pinching or going without. In fact,  once our needs are met we have freedom to do the fun stuff without guilt.

To all my blog readers,  Take a bow,  pat yourselves on the back and send virtual hugs to each other.  You make my day, every day.  You give me so much joy that my heart is over flowing.


Thank you



Here's a snap shot of the past year -

One of the first pictures for the blog
Bread making
Doing an interview with Denis Walter on 3AW
Miracle Spray
Pumpkin scones
Lettuce from the garden
Cranberry Hootycreek biscuits - a big hit with you
One of our chickens - Becky
Making face washers fancy for gifts
Tv ads for my Christmas story on ACA

Making jam
First attempt at card making
A days pickings from our garden.
Melbourne Flower Show - oh what beauty. 
My card making is getting better.
Flowers from the garden
Home made gifts
Apple Rose Pastries
Darren and I
My family

28 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy ,Happy First blog anniversary, thank you for a wonderful, interesting and informative blog. You write so well . I will keep reading and have been a reader for many months now. I love your cards, your muesli slice recipe is excellent and I make it regularly. I am looking forward to trying more of your recipes too. I will also keep making cards and be inspired by your cards and other drafts. Thank you again. Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was meant to say crafts not drafts!. Also I just wanted to add that since I have been following your blog Wendy and Caths blog and Anabels blog also , my pantry stockpile has never been so good . I have started baking again and my card making is more enjoyable and more frequent. Thank you all. Thank you to the others who comment here as I often get inspiration from all of you. Wendy your family are excellent role models and proof that you can live for less.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the mention, Wendy! I love trying new recipes and all of yours have proven to be winners.
    I'm not half as frugal as I should and could be but your hints and tips have me well on the way to saving more money.
    I've started stock piling - only things I use all the time like shampoo, conditioner, hand wash, toilet paper and tissues, deodorant, dishwasher tabs and laundry detergent.
    By buying these things when they are out for half price, I am finding my weekly bill is not as nasty at all. So now I keep my eyes peeled for those half price bargains and throw two or three of each item in the trolley. It makes a huge difference when you buy shampoo for $2.69 instead of $5.49! The key is to not go overboard buying things you 'won't' use just because they are on special. Butter, pasta and tinned goods are others to look for when out for half price.
    I'm looking forward to more recipes from you - I love your Honey mustard chicken, it's better than the bought one! And the Creamy Pasta Salad - yummy!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big happy BLOGAVERSARY to you Wendy! Thank you for your generosity of time and spirit to those of us that visit you here. I love reading about all your ideas, recipes, hints and tips and just day to day stuff. It's made a real difference in my life and consequently my family's life. I always make sure to have a cuppa in hand before I read your blog posts, that way it's like having a chat with a friend. Have a great week. Cheers Donna Z :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Wendy, doesn't time flyby. Congratulations to you and your family for taking the plunge. You have changed our lives for the better and in turn, found a true friend in you. Everyday your in my thoughts thinking "i wonder what Wendy would be making or doing today?". You encourage me to do more with less. Your a true gift from God and i pray for continued blessing for you and your family, xxx

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog Wendy. I only discovered it a few months ago and have now started my own little stockpile. My daughter loves looking at the Coles and Woolies catalogues with me to find the best specials. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blog anniversary Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. Please know you are doing a very important community service, generously sharing your down-to-earth style saving methods that we can all easily implement. I love your blog. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your blog anniversary. I have recently started following through another blogger - Annabel, which seems to be the way in the blogger universe . I really enjoy your blog and thank you for doing it .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is awesome. Thank you for taking the time and having the generosity to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy you have come a long way in one year! What a year!
    Thank you so much for your mutual support and encouragement. You are a big blessing to me in my life but also my blog.
    What you are doing here is important work. So many people are in financial trouble, times are pretty tough. You show how we can live wonderfully on so much less. And be happy and content!
    As you say what could be better than that! Well done on your first year! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogaversary Wendy. Thanks so much for your inspiration :) and a special thanks to Darren, Jessica and Megan as well.

    Cheers

    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Wendy, you've made me cry! Congratulations, that year has flown by and you and Darren deserve every blessing that comes your way. I get so much joy from seeing where you're going, and from your friendship. Knowing you've (almost) walked in our shoes and understand completely why we made the choices we did and still do is such a blessing to me. I pray for good things for you, Darren and the girls and know that the blessings will pour down on you as you work your very special ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy first year anniversary of your blog! I enjoy reading it and seeing the lovely photos. When I mentioned having to look some words up, I usually can figure them out based on context, and biscuit and chooks were two of them :-). There are also some ingredients, cooking temps, etc. that I have to convert in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy, happy anniversary. I have been following you for a few months now but not commented before. Love your blog. I am just getting started stockpiling. Finding it a bit daunting. Am making your chicken flan recipe on saturday - looks yummy. I too am a big fan of Annabel's blog - I must be more adventureous and comment on hers as well!!! Enjoy seeing you on TV. It is very inspiring. Cheers from Liz at Cranebrook.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Wendy happy BLOGAVERSARY. I look forward to many more posts filled with your kind & practical wisdom.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blog Anniversary Wendy:) Such a lovely and "feel good" post, I couldn't help but smile while reading this wonderful account of your first year blogging. Also a huge thank you to Tania for encouraging your to start blogging and sharing your life with us. I always love seeing another post appearing in my e-mail box. Thank you for your generous and caring spirit♥ Blessings to all of you:) Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY Wendy!

    You have done so well and we all learn so much from you and from each others comments. Keep on doing what you do, you are helping many in need. I have a feeling that times are going to get really tough from now on and your frugal ways are going to be appreciated more than ever.

    Thank you for the kind blog mention. Not sure if you know that I have another blog that I have just started up, this one is more of a housekeeping theme if you would like to visit http://onecontentedhomebody.blogspot.com.au/

    You have blessed my life with your lovely blog and friendship.

    Love Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy,congratulations on your anniversary.
    Love reading your blog. You are so inspiring to o many people.
    God bless you and your lovely family.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy blog anniversary. I am always looking forward to your mid week and Saturday updates. I have learned and continue to learn a lot to live the frugal life.

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello wendy,
    happy blogaversary!!
    i enjoy reading your blog post.thanks for so much helpful information.
    have a nice day,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy anniversary. So glad you decided to blog. You have made such a difference to so many people. Bless you. And hope to see so many more blogs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wendy, congratulations on your one year anniversary! You've accomplished a lot and helped many people along the way. Thank you for all you do and for the mention of A Working Pantry blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Wendy! Your commitment to sharing your life has helped shape and transform other peoples lives, including mine and my families. Your blog is a compass that keeps us guided on a steady financial path. Thank-you for your courage to step out of your comfort zone. Regards Liz from Narre Warren North.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thankyou everyone for your kind words and wishes. Here's to another year of living frugally with style.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Message to self. After you have purchased your stock pile of great specials from Wendy's blog. Remember where you put them . Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Are they in the dryer ( like Cath does ), under the bed, back of the wardrobe, in the car boot ? Hope you find them

      Delete
  26. Wendy, you are to be congratulated on all you've achieved in one short year. You obviously filled a need in the community, and I know I am continually inspired by all you do. Happy first blog anniversary and many more to come. Love, Mimi...xxx

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.