Monday 3 August 2015

5 Easy Ways To Cut Your Heating Bill Part 3

I hope you've enjoyed this three part series on cutting your heating bill.  Here is the last installment.

*  Feeling a little cold at night and want the heater on when you are in bed ?  A much cheaper option is to buy a Winter weight doona.  I bought an Australian Wool  Doona ( king size ) from a manchester shop last year for $80.  It's much warmer than the standard polyester doona but only slightly heavier in weight.  Darren and I no longer need to pile the blankets on the bed or freeze when the overnight temperature drops outside.  Our wool doona will last for many years as we only need it for 3 months each year.  If it lasts for 10 years then I've only spent $8 per year to be warm.  Compare that to having the heater on a higher temperature and the costs invloved.  At the end of Winter I fold the doona back into it's bag and store it away for the next year.

*  Keep your windows and doors closed.  Yes,  I know I'm stating the blatantly obvious but I hear from mums all over how their kids leave the door open.  It's just one of those things you need to keep on top of.  I'm always asking my girls if they've closed the front door when we come home from school.  95 % of the time they have but I ask anyway. It pays to check.

*  Install a programable thermostat.  Ok,  this is going to cost you a bit of money but it will save you so much more in the long run.  We changed over from a manual one to a programable one back in 2001 for $150.  It was one of the best decisions we've made.  No longer is the heater left on 20 degrees overnight.  No longer  do we keep turning it up " just a bit more ".  If you can't afford one right now,  make it a goal for next Winter.  Maybe start a savings tin.  I've been known to use a soft drink can to save $2 coins.

*  Don't heat an empty home.  It's just dollars out the window.  If we think we'll be out when the heater switches back on for tea time heating,  we turn the heater off all together.

*  Keep all ducting vents clear of furniture and curtains.  There's no point in heating a couch or having curtains billowing in hot air.

*  Wear a dressing gown and slippers.  You might not be wearing high fashion but you will be warm.

*  Turn the heating off before bed and place heated wheat packs between the sheets.  Doing this 15 - 30 minutes before bed will give you a toasty spot to climb into. 



13 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,

    We have the same programable thermostat which is great. We program ours to turn off 1/2 an hour before bed as it still stays warm for a while in the house and its off overnight.

    We all have summer and winter doonas also and use wheat bags which i love. My Mum always used to make these herself for us, but can no longer do this. Would anyone know where to buy the wheat?

    I use the oven , if i'm cooking during the day and close all the doors which keeps the kitchen warm.

    Your bedding is lovely, xxx
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, you can buy the wheat at produce and pet supply stores. Adding lavender is optional. Sue

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue, great to know
      Maureen

      Delete
    3. Maureen, I think Annabel uses rice.

      Delete
  2. Wendy these are excellent tips. Can I add that we find putting an extra layer along the bed where our feet rest during sleep, seems to keep us much warmer too? That additional rug or blanket just really helps maintain the temperature when our tootsies get chilly. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have a blanket at the end of the bed too. I've been leaving my socks on when I go to bed.

      Delete
  3. Hi Wendy, as usual you are on the ball with the tips...:-)
    The last few days have been chilly here... I believe it hit -8.7. Anyway We used three large thick blankets, one doona, wheat bags, thick socks and have worn thick tracksuits to bed for the last few nights and no heater. After a few minutes the bed always warms up anyway so no need for electric blankets etc...I have to admit that I did discuss putting my slippers beside the bed so I could slip them on if I needed to get out of the bed during the night... why on earth I hadn't done it before I have no idea.
    I have found that if I go outside first thing in the morning and feel the below zero temperatures to check the garden, it makes me realise how warm my home is and I don't use the heater as much....
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is summer here now, but in winter I use flannel sheets rather than cotton. the bed is relatively warm when you slide in. Also my DH goes to bed about 20 min. before I do. The bed is then warm when I get in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, husbands come in handy for pre warming beds.

      Delete
  5. Another cheap 'self-warmer' are those hot flashes we older women are 'blessed' with! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fantastic ideas, we turn the heater down at night and I pop a water bottle in the bed before we get in, but I have a 4 month old baby who really feels the cold so we keep the heater on 17 degrees over night but off during the day. Ive also bought some block out blinds ($10 each brand new at Lindcraft) which will help too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention that your bedding is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I can't go past sage green. It's so calming.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.