Monday 24 August 2015

Hot Chocolate Drink Mix

I orginally found a recipe for Hot Chocolate Drink Mix on The Cheapskate's Club website back in 2010.  After reading the free newsletters for a couple of months,  I really wanted to pay for a membership to get access to all the recipes in the recipe file.  This was one of my first light bulb moments when I found I could make my own hot chocolate instead of buying Milo which is dear and tends to go hard when it's not used for a while.

The beauty of finding a recipe is that you can make your own changes to suit your family's taste.  That's what I've done and here's my version

2 cups of milk powder - full or skim milk
1/2 cup of castor sugar or regular white sugar
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
1/2 cup of coffee whitener - optional

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl with a whisk.
Store in an air tight container

To serve, use 2 teaspoons of the mix in boiling water.  Add a little milk and extra sugar if desired

NOTES -

*  No name cocoa powder can be used.  This is what I use

*  Coffee whitener is found in the tea  / coffee aisle.  It's usually on the bottom shelf.

*  If you don't want to use coffee whitener,  then just add a little extra milk powder.

*  This makes a wonderful present either given in a glass jar or in a cello bag decorated with a ribbon.


11 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy
    Ive made this before to and its really nice. Im not a big chocy drinker but Shayna loves it. Im going to be Mooing a lot more things as we go along xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    Yes, I make this for my boys although I haven't made it yet without the Whitener. Is it abit stronger?
    Great idea for Christmas hampers.
    Love your little spoon and teapot. Do you remember when we were children, the little teaspoons that had the animals on the top/end of the spoon?

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I had a rabbit spoon and my sister had the duckie spoon. Hope Mum still has them.

      Delete
    2. I think it might be stronger without the whitener. Just add more milk powder.

      Delete
    3. I had the puppy spoon and my sister had the ducky also

      Delete
  3. Love this one Wendy. Yummy. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this as a gift! In winter the addition of marshmallows would be an extra treat!
    Overall I love mixes we can make ourselves. It makes me save up more pretty jars too and make lovely labels. Many thanks Wendy!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you make it look very pretty Annabel.

      Delete
  5. HI Wendy, will have to try this. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is coffee whitener? I have never actually heard of it! Thanks, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it until I made this recipe. I think it might be used in offices when there is no milk. It's usually on the bottom / top shelf where the coffee is in the supermarket. If you don't want to use it just add extra milk powder.

      Delete
  6. well if i read this a couple of hours earlier i would have saved $9.95 on a tin of milo. But on the bright side it is the last tin of milo

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.