Monday 17 August 2015

Padded Hearts - A Simple Craft.

I'm not overly crafty but this is a simple one.  If you can thread a needle,  then this craft is for you.  I've made these for teacher's presents,  little girl's birthday presents and as Christmas decorations for the tree and dining chairs.  Megan has one hanging on her bedhead.

Here's what you need -

15 centemetre paper shapes.
Scrap pieces of material
Contrasting cotton
Ribbon


Print off or hand draw a few different shapes that are approximately 15 cm high.  Cut the desired shape out and pin it to a double layer of printed material ( right sides facing out ).  Cut the material shape out with normal material scissors or pinking shears ( zig zag ).



Starting on a straight edge,  sew simple straight stitches about 1/2 centimetre from the edge.  The stitches should look like tacking stitches.


Continue stitching until you are about 3 centimetres from the start.


Stuff the shape with a little wadding.  Just use a very small amount  at a time.  The shape needs to be slightly padded but not like a cushion.


Stitch up the remaining fabric and tie off and cut the cotton.


Attach a small ribbon to form a loop with a few stitches.


Add a little ribbon bow with a few stitches tying a knot at the back.


Some shapes can be joined together with a few stitches to form a wall hanging or to hang on the back of a dining chair.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy,

    I love this idea and so easy. This would be great for Christmas hanging on the tree in shapes like Christmas trees or wreaths. I going to make some of these up for my boys teachers and maybe add a little lavender.
    Thanks, xxx
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling ornament idea, too, indeed! Precious!

      *hugs*
      Kelley~
      Letters Unfolded

      Delete
  2. Wendy what a sweet little gift. I love it to bits! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple but beautiful! My kind of craft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so sweet Wendy, and simple, just how I like it.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy these are just lovely. I have made swags of hearts. I join a few together at the sides and then have ribbon at each end. My girls, my sister and myself have them hanging on a window from the curtain rod holders. I make them in the girls favourite colours. They loved them. The hearts used up plenty of scraps, were quick and easy to make and being in a heart/love shape, they are a beautiful gift to make and to give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I do the swags too. I just ran out of time to get them out and take photos.

      Delete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.