Wednesday 4 May 2022

20 Groceries We Don't Buy And The Cheap / Free Alternatives - Part 1

 We are all battling rising grocery prices right now.  In recent years it's never been tougher to feed our families and still keep control of the food budget.

Sometimes we buy certain groceries just because we always have.  Maybe we didn't know we could make them from multipurpose ingredients.

Below are 20 groceries we don't buy either because we don't need them or make them from scratch.  This saves us so much money each month yet we still eat well and don't feel like we are missing out.


Brown sugar - I make my own with white sugar and molasses

Castor sugar - I grind white sugar in the food processor

Bread crumbs - I make my own using bread crusts.  FREE.

Jam - I make my own from fruit we grow.

Recipe bases - I make my own from basic ingredients ( I do buy Massaman beef curry base )

Muffin / cake / biscuit packet mixes - I make my own from flour,  sugar,  milk,  butter,  eggs etc.

Ready made cakes / biscuits / muffins -  Same as above

Grated cheese / slices - I grate and slice my own.  I add corn flour to grated cheese to prevent sticking.

Yoghurt - I make my own in an Easiyo maker.  I do buy natural yoghurt as a starter to portion and freeze.

Custard in box / packet / tub - I make my own from eggs,  milk,  corn flour and sugar or use custard powder.

Cordial - I make my own 50 / 50 cordial in Summer from lemons we grow and oranges bought cheap in Winter and froze.

Soft drink - We just don't need it and drink tea or water

Pasta salad / potato salad - I make my own for a fraction of the price.

Chunky tinned soups -  I make my own.  Here's the recipe   SOUP

Liquid stock - I make my own in the slow cooker with bones.  FREE

Fancy meat rubs / salts - I use the herbs and spices I already have.

Freezer meals - I freeze my own leftovers.

Bottled water - Our tap water is one of the best in the world.  We bottle it ourselves pretty much for free.

Pasta sauce - I use a tin of tomatoes ( the cheapest ) and add my own seasonings and tomato paste.

Chicken sauces like honey mustard etc- I make my own from scratch.  Here's the recipe CHICKEN 

.

Blueberry muffins

Homemade hot cross buns

choc chip biscuits

Freezer meals ( leftovers )

Making yoghurt


How many of these groceries can you do without or make yourself ?

15 comments:

  1. Thats so true. I make most things from scratch. I don't have the garden now but forage for apples, blackberries, plums and wild garlic locally and all free. I grow herbs, salad leaf and chard in troughs on the patio. I get a lot of free stuff from the Olio app. Mostly bread products, fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how many people buy bottled water. As you say, there is nothing wrong with what comes out of the tap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fantastic tips. What a great idea to make brown sugar and castor sugar at home.

    Plain flour (aka all purpose flour) is another useful staple. Mix it with cornflour to make cake flour, or mix it with vital wheat gluten to make bread flour.

    With love from,
    Kelly (Mrs. Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great list Wendy, good reminder not to get 'slack'...I do like to make pizza from scratch too, so much better than a shop bought one and I know what's in it mainly xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizzas from scratch are divine. I don't know how people could eat anything else.

      Delete
  5. Great list Wendy. I make my own muffins and actually found a basic recipe on line that came with 52 variations. I also use the Easiyo Yoghurt Maker. Can't come at home made Hot Cross Buns as my Dad used to make the best ever so there is the emotional attachment still after 30 years. I boil all our water then refrigerate and use as required. Brisbane water is pretty yuk straight from the tap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,

    This is very helpful advice for those that are struggling and those that don't realise you can actually make your own of almost everything in the shop. Keep on inspiring for a frugal life xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make my own sourdough bread, because it is the only bread I can eat. So satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing Wendy. Always inspires me to do better with our grocery budget. Do you grate your cheese in a food processor or a good old box grater?
    Like Sue commented, we also make pizza bases and our family like these the best. I use your recipe. I haven’t tried your bread recipe yet. Im sure that is a great money saver. Take care Wendy :) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the good old box grater. The food processor is easier but grates the cheese too thick.

      Delete
  9. I think I save a lot by baking instead of buying - things like muesli bars, granola, biscuits, muffins for lunchboxes. Popcorn is also a cheap and healthier snack too.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a very good list. I like to jazz up home-made meals with home-made bread. My husband is the sour dough king, but I can turn my hand to naan breads, wraps and ciabatta. The cooking costs push the price up, but having fresh bread that hasn't sat on a supermarket shelf wrapped in plastic for days is lovely. I can also make the exact amount we require.

    I am another person who really doesn't get the bottled water thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post, as usual Wendy. Sending my love and prayers to your family at this time. Thank you for continuing to share your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The thing that pushed me over the edge is salad dressing! $7US for something I can whip up at home in 30 seconds with olive oil, vinegar, and spices? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.