At this point in time, Melbourne is in the middle of a 7 day lockdown. Supermarket shelves were stripped bare yet again as people went into panic mode. I chose to stay away from the shops and enjoy my very healthy stockpile of food, toiletries and cleaning ingredients.
We have a garden that supplies some of our veggie needs as well as last Summer's haul stored in our freezers. This has been a real source of comfort during times of uncertainty and a huge help for our grocery budget. Plans are already in place for a bigger veggie garden next Summer and we look forward to warmer days of Spring planting.
Here's how we saved money this week -
* Replanted 7 self sown snap dragon seedlings Darren found in a garden bed. They were growing in the oddest places so I've planted them in another bed as a mass planting. Hopefully we'll get a good showing of flowers in the next couple of months. Gotta love free plants.
* Made 15 jars of raspberry jam using fruit I'd picked and frozen over Summer.
* Made lots of dried bread crumbs using saved bread crusts I'd been storing in the freezer.
* Fed the compost bin every second day with kitchen scraps. Darren said he's almost ready to empty one of the bins out into our veggie garden.
* Fed lots of weeds to the chickens.
* Saved and washed the snap lock bags I used to store the raspberries in the freezer. They are now ready to use for next season's raspberry haul.
* Baked three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
* Made 8 jars of plum jam using fruit my Dad gave me last Summer that I froze. With all this jam making I now have a fair bit of room in the freezer in readiness for our Spring / Summer garden haul.
* Decanted and diluted 8 litres of laundry liquid into saved vinegar bottles. The laundry liquid is from the big bucket I made a few months ago. As I get vinegar bottles given to me I keep decanting then storing the liquid in my shed. By the time I'm ready to make my next batch I should have enough vinegar bottles to decant it all at the same time eliminating the need to blitz and stir the liquid getting my hands all soapy in the process.
* Froze 5 single serves of Massaman beef curry that was leftover from our dinner one night.
* Picked broccoli, lemons, lettuce and silverbeet from our garden.
* Saved the shower warm up water and bath water ( from our grandbabies ) to pour into our washing machine. We also saved lots of kitchen water that was used to water lots of pot plants.
* Blanched and froze the broccoli from our garden.
|Bread and jam making|
|Princess joining Darren for a workout.|
|Broccoli ready to flash freeze.|