Well, we are in lockdown again in Melbourne but thankfully we are coping well. I'm still allowed to work although Darren's hours have been cut. Our well stocked fridge, freezers and pantry are keeping us well fed. Just as lockdown was being rumoured, Darren ducked into the supermarket to buy a few treats to see us through.
I couldn't post anything here last week due to being super busy with work, a catering job and a sewing job. By the time the weekend came, I needed to catch up on the housework, then rest.
So this frugal list spans two weeks.
* Darren picked broccoli, spinach, kale and lettuce from the garden to have with our meals.
* I baked choc chip biscuits using dough from the freezer. Our grandson Luka was over at the time ( before lockdown ) and helped squash the dough on the trays. He also helped eat the dough too ( sneaky little boy ).
* Used a $20 voucher from The Good Guys to buy another slow cooker. The voucher arrived on my phone just hours before lockdown so I raced up to the shops to pick something out. The slow cooker I bought ended up costing me just $19.95.
* Made a bottle of shower cleaner using kitchen detergent. The ratio is one part detergent to one part water.
* Hemmed some new curtains for a friend as a paying job.
* I was in need of some new kitchen cannisters for my tea, sugar and biscuits. The ones I'd been using for at least 10 years had become loose around the lids and I needed air tight containers. I had a few spare Moccona coffee jars on hand and was inspired by Mary from the White Cottage Company to paint them white. Once I painted the jars, the utensil holder looked out of place so I painted that white as well. I'm loving the new look and it only cost me about $13 for the can of spray paint.
* Cooked 31 single serve meals for a friend's grandmother as a paying job and learnt a new soup recipe along the way.
* Made a batch of pita chips using pita bread from the freezer.
* Out of an urgent need, Darren gave me a haircut. My hair was getting too long and a bit dry on the ends so he cut a couple of inches off.
* Fed the compost bin with kitchen scraps. Darren says one bin is now ready to use in the garden. Just waiting on good weather to empty the bin.
* Extended the life of my eyeliner by pulling up the contents in the retractable part. I'll now get another 8 weeks of use.
* Made a surface spray cleaner for benches, toilets and sinks etc by diluting kitchen detergent one part detergent to twenty parts cooled boiled water.
* Made a slow cooker bread pudding using the saved crusts from my homemade bread.
* Sold a set of men's greeting cards.
* Baked four loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.
|Newly painted ' cannisters '|
|Newly painted utensil holder|
|Pita chips for snacks|
|Freshly baked bread.|
|Bulk cooking for an order|