It's been another ' Make, Bake, Sew and Grow ' sort of week at the Gower Abundant Cottage. My days are fairly full of things to do and I'm really enjoying my time at home. After many weeks of sewing like crazy to fill all the face mask orders, I did take it a little easier this week. I've enjoyed watching lots of Youtube videos on gardening and soap making . I must admit, I quite enjoy having a smart tv which makes access to Youtube so much easier. The fact I can sit in my recliner chair with a cuppa and biscuit is quite relaxing too.
Here's what we've been up to this week -
* I planted out our Spring / Summer veggie seeds. I used a mini green house tray for some seeds and a plastic cover / carry case from a pillow I bought a couple of months ago.as another green house. I've planted zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce mix, bush beans, climbing beans, capsicum and tomatoes. A little later I'll plant carrots and radishes where I want them to grow.
* Darren planted out seed potatoes as well as ones he saved from our pantry. Some are growing in potato bags and the rest in the veggie beds.
* Made a batch of olive oil and coconut oil soap. My skin doesn't like using shower gel or bought soap for too long and we were down to our last bar of homemade soap. Now that I have more free time I'll be trying new techniques with colors and fragrances to give as presents and to sell to a few friends.
* Made chicken stock in the slow cooker then turned it into another big pot of chunky chicken and veg soup ( not soap ). Just about all of it went into the freezer for lunches and some will be saved to give to Jessica for her freezer when the lockdown ends.
* Made a few more masks and cards for orders.
* Saved the shower warm up water and poured it into the washing machine.
* Cleaned the inside of our kettle with citric acid.
* Picked Bok choy, and silverbeet from our garden and collected an egg almost every day.
* Ate leftover meals from our freezer for a couple of dinners.
* Turned the heater off for a few hours on a couple of days when the Sun was shining.
* Megan gave us a couple of containers of homemade potato and leek soup.
* Made sure all the appliances were turned off at the wall when not in use.
* Darren fed the compost bin almost every day with kitchen scraps.
* Fed dried bread and weeds to the chickens to give them something different from the usual chicken feed.
* Jessica organised a surprise delivery of donuts from her work as an early 25th wedding anniversary present. The donuts were enjoyed for a few afternoon teas. It was a lovely way to cheer us up. Due to the pandemic and lockdown, we were unable to go on our long awaited, much saved for fancy holiday to New Zealand and the Cook Islands which was meant to be this week.
|Donuts from Jessica|
|Handmade bath bombs|
|Mini green houses helping the seeds along|