It's been a lovely week of very mild Summer weather here in Melbourne. Both Darren and I have made the most of this weather and spent lots of time out in our garden. Here's what we've been up to -
* Made chicken stock in the slow cooker using the carcass and a few herbs. When it was cooked I portioned it into smaller sizes. With just the two of is in the house I no longer need to make the huge pots of soup that serve 10 - 11 people. The smaller portion will make enough soup for 4 serves ( 2 meals ).
* Picked lots of tomatoes, corn and silverbeet from our garden.
* Picked a couple of handfuls of raspberries every day. So far this season I've picked 2.25 kg and frozen them.
* Picked a few lemons left from last season. They have gradually turned yellow and we are now using them.
* Made a double batch of chocolate brownies from scratch. I've kept some in the pantry and the rest was frozen for future afternoon teas.
* Fed the compost bin every day with garden clippings and kitchen scraps.
* Darren picked up a large glass lidded container from Woolies just as they ended their latest promotion. We didn't need to pay for it and just did our usual shopping to get the points. They are now getting rid of the remaining stock and you only need half as many points for a container.
* Planted 2 Hebe plant cuttings we've grown ourselves from another plant.
* Made 10 jars of raspberry jam from our fruit. This is my all time favourite jam. So tasty and tangy.
* Planted out more broccoli seedlings we bought as well as a few we grew from seed. I'm hoping to grow lots of broccoli to freeze so we don't have to buy it from the supermarket at such high prices.
* Baked lots of chocolate choc chip muffins and sold them to a friend who had ordered them.
* Saved lots of shower warm up water and poured it into the washing machine
* Picked a small bowl of strawberries from our garden.
|From the garden|
|How Darren had the chocolate brownie|