Saturday 21 September 2024

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 21st September 2024

 The last few weeks have full and eventful.  We celebrated Father's Day followed by our wedding anniversary the next day.  During that time,  Melbourne was hit by a ferocious storm in the wee hours of that Monday.   It was quite frightening and sounded like a cyclone was swirling around our home.  We heard a big crash outside but couldn't find anything other than a bin knocked over.  

The winds continued all week and we heard another crash on the Thursday but still couldn't see any damage.   I went to a card making weekend on the Friday and came home Sunday afternoon just as the rains came down again.  That's when I discovered we had a major roof leak.

Darren climbed up on the roof to find at least 7 broken tiles.  We heard from our next door neighbour that the house at the back of us lost a trampoline sometime during the storms and we think it hit our roof.  Darren said there were 2 trampoline springs up on our roof. 

Darren used the spare tiles we had to do some repair work with the help of our next door neighbour. Unfortunately the roof still needs more work.  We also have water damage inside our home which still needs attention.

We celebrated our granddaughter Naomi's first birthday on Tuesday and her party was last Sunday.

I also had a photo shoot with a major magazine this week.  That was just a little bit exciting.   We had lots of fun dodging rain and gusts of wind.  It's never a dull moment with Melbourne weather.

So after all of that,  here is my frugal list from the last few weeks -

*  Darren and I took our grandsons Luka and Bryson to the Jurassic World Dinosaur display.  It was a lovely day out into the city with a first time tram ride for the boys.  To keep costs down we took water bottles,  fruit and snacks for all four of us as well as sandwiches for the boys.  

*  Even with all the rain and strong winds we've had over the last few weeks,  I've managed to get most of the washing dry on clothes horses and the clothesline.  Only a few items were dried in the dryer.

*  Recently I bought a craft stamp cleaning mat.  It needs a cleaning spray to go with it but I was able to make that myself.  This retails for $23 but I made it for under $2.

*  I planted tomato and sugar snap pea seedlings.

*  I made up a big bottle of foaming hand wash using cheap shower gel and cooled water from the kettle.  I refilled the pumps around our home with this.

*  Darren and I went out for dinner for our wedding anniversary on the 2nd September.  We used a voucher to help lower the cost of our meals.

*  We filled up both our cars when petrol was $1.68 per litre.

*  On the colder days I turned our heater down just a little bit to 19 degrees Celsius.  Usually we have it on 20 degrees during the day.

*  I gratefully received lemons,  oranges and mandarins from a couple of friends. 

*  I wrote out a menu plan for the next four weeks.  This is quite an easy task to do when I keep old menu plans that worked well.  I just switch around a couple of meals to suit any occasion coming up.

*  I refilled the herb and spice jars from bulk packets I bought at Hindustan Imports.  This is a far cheaper option than constantly buying those little jars at the supermarket.

*  We are enjoying the homemade muesli bars so much that I make them on a regular basis.  I made another batch last weekend.

*  I dug out the dehydrator and dried the gifted oranges and a few mandarins.  They turned out really well and are so delicious.

*  Three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness was baked this week.

*  I picked the last of the mandarins from our trees.

*  I bought 3 Summer tops from Savers and used a 20% off discount voucher to get them even cheaper.

*  There are some great bargains to be had as the department stores clear out old stock.  I picked up gumboots for the grandchildren for $4 and  Minecraft backpacks for $1.98.  I also picked up a couple of items for the gift cupboard and insect repellent products on clearance.

*  I made honey joys for Naomi's party using items I already had on hand.

First time dehydrating oranges

The finished product


Luka at Jurassic World

Both boys looking at the dinosaur

Bryson with his dino pet

Darren on Father's Day

Naomi turning 1

Honey joys for the party

$1.98 clearance bargain

Have you found any clearance bargains lately ?

How have you saved time,  money or energy the last few weeks ?


No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.