We had a lovely Christmas and hosted Christmas Day lunch at our place. It was Luka's first Christmas and he really enjoyed the wrapping paper as well as his new toys. Under the Christmas tree was choc o block full of presents especially for Luka. Imagine what it will be like next Christmas with another baby joining our family.
Family will be moving in with us in 4 weeks time ( for the next 12 - 18 months ) so I've spent a lot of time decluttering and making space in cupboards and drawers. There have been many trips to Savers with bags of no longer needed goodies.
Here's what else I've been up to -
* Made a large jar of castor sugar by whizzing small batches of white sugar in the coffee bean grinder. It was so easy to do and works out much cheaper per kilo.
* Made 14 jars of peach and peacharine jam. The fruit was free and came from my Dad's tree and a local community pantry.
* Made Christmas cards by cutting up the old ones we had. I think they look quite nice. It feels good to have that task finished at the start of the year when life is a little quieter.
* I went shopping on Boxing day to pick up a few bargains. I purchased a couple of presents for this year, bought sneakers at 40% off to wear to my cleaning jobs and used a gift card for a Kaisercraft store that had 50% off most items.
* Saved the shower water, washing machine rinse water and Luka's bath water ( when he was here ) and poured it all into the washing machine for the next load.
* Diluted the dishwashing liquid by 1/3.
* Redeemed our saved points at Coles supermarket to get 6 drinking glasses for free. We did not go out of our way to spend more money so they truly are free.
* Used fuel dockets to fill up our cars with petrol just before the price went up.
* Made chicken stock in the slow cooker from a chicken carcass.
* Picked a few raspberries each day. The fruit isn't as big or abundant this year but I'm hoping I'll have enough to make a couple of jars of jam.
* Darren and I ate Christmas Day leftovers for 2 days afterwards. Nothing went to waste and it was great to have a break from cooking.
* Dried lots of rosemary and whizzed it in the coffee grinder so that it sticks better to roast veggies.
* Picked about 8 apricots from our tree. The birds got 4 of them.
* Made butter with a small amount of cream I knew we couldn't use before it went off.
* Made 9 jars of peach jam using free fruit I was able to access. Made 6 jars of raspberry jam using fruit from our bushes. Made 3 jars of apricot jam using fruit from our tree ( for the first time).
* Picked up 4 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper from The Reject Shop for 25 cents each. 3 of the rolls can be used for birthdays and other occasions.
* Found a cheaper plan for my mobile phone saving me $10 a month.
* Bought Dove soap at NQR costing $4 for 6 bars. Some have been put away for Christmas stockings.
* Gratefully received potato chips from a family member who had access to slightly out of date stock.
* Filled up our cars just before petrol went up.
* Planted cucumber and lettuce seeds.
* Picked three zucchinis so far from the one plant my Dad gave me. I'm hoping to make a zucchini slice.
|Christmas Day table|
|Christmas Day table|
|From the garden|
|Peach and peacharine jam.|
|Processing the dried rosemary|
|Boxing Day bargains.|