A week and a half into stage 4 lockdown and we've managed to keep ourselves busy and sane. Darren has taken this opportunity to paint our kitchen, family room, hallway and dining room. There was a mad dash to Bunnings to get paint equipment and it seems many other people had the same idea. Lots of paint was flying out the door.
We became empty nesters ( again ) a couple of weeks ago. Now we have two empty bedrooms to rearrange as we see fit. I've gained a craft room ( YAY !! ) which is work in progress. I've had craft materials stashed in many nooks and crannies around the home. Now the hunt is on to find them all. So far I have a trestle table for mask making and a desk where my sewing machine stays all set up. So exciting.
Yesterday I did my monthly grocery shop but make it an extra big one. I usually spend Winter and Spring building my stockpile up until it has 12 months worth of pantry items, toiletries and laundry supplies. I love grocery shopping but most importantly, I LOVE to be well prepared. This pandemic has revealed that no food is guaranteed to be in stock. I'm making sure that I have everything I need to bake or cook anything on my menu.
Here's what else I've been up to -
* Made a menu plan for the next fortnight. I concentrated on using up bits and pieces in the freezer.
* Made pumpkin scones using cooked pumpkin from the freezer. We've really enjoyed them with homemade butter and a cup of tea.
* Used saved bread crusts from the freezer to make dried bread crumbs. Bread crusts never go to waste in our home. If they are not turned into dried seasoned bread crumbs, they are fed to the chickens.
* Made batches of butter every 5 or 6 days. The cream I'm using has been frozen but it had 1 day left on it's use by date. I'm not sure if butter goes off but I didn't want to risk it.
* Started working on grocery shopping lists for the next 4 months. I like to plan ahead and be well prepared.
* Made and sold lots of face masks. I've been getting some orders from NSW ( interstate ). Their COVID 19 cases are on the increase.
* With just the two of us to feed, I've been cooking the usual amount and freezing all the leftovers. There will come a time when I can have many nights off from cooking.
* Saved the shower warm up water and poured it into the washing machine.
* Collected an egg almost every day. We only have one laying chicken and one free loader. Our laying chicken was at death's door almost 3 years ago. She was so sick for about 6 - 8 months, every day we thought we'd lose her. Now she's making up for it.
* Made a bottle of shower cleaner and floor cleaner using kitchen detergent and cooled, boiled water.
* Picked ssilverbeet from the garden a couple of times.
One of our silverbeet plants.