The days are getting cooler and gradually shorter yet we try to stay as productive as possible. Autumn planting is finished in our veggie garden and we look forward to a bountiful crop of blessings Each day we are grateful for the small home we live in that allows us to have a decent sized backyard for a garden. We are grateful for our careful planning all those years ago when we thought a veggie garden and fruit trees would be fun to have.
Here are some of the frugal tasks we've completed this week -
* I gratefully received TVP ( textured vegetable protein ) from a friend a couple of months ago. We've been adding it to our mince meat meals like lasagne and spag bol to help stretch the meat further. With meat prices almost too dear for our budget, the TVP has been a real blessing.
* Made a batch of pumpkin scones using pumpkin I bought for 99 cents a kilo ( which is cheap for this time of the year ). We are hoping to grow our own pumpkins next Summer.
* Darren picked bunches of flowers from our garden to brighten up our home.
* I planted out broccoli and mini cauliflower seedlings I'd grown from seed.
* Froze lots of leftovers from our dinners. When we get too many in the freezer we write them into the menu plan for easy nights and very little cleaning up.
* I did my monthly grocery shopping on Monday and had $40 worth of vouchers from completed online surveys. Combining these with the 10% off offer at Woolworths ( from our insurance ), my total shop was reduced to $19.95. This included a $12 tray of sausages.
* Enjoyed two dinners out this week. One at Megan's place and the next night at Jessica's. Gotta love it when our grown daughters offer to feed us.
* Saved the shower warm up water and the grandbabies bath water. All of it was poured into the washing machine.
* Made a jar of gravy powder using flour, beef stock powder, herbs and a little bit of store bought gravy powder I'm trying to use up.
* I forgot to mention last week that we received some meat leftover from Luka and Bryson's birthday party. Some of the meat we received were 4 bbq sausages. I turned them into a sausage casserole in the slow cooker. I was able to get 6 generous serves by slicing the sausages thinly.
|Darren loves color under the pergola|
|From the garden|
|Making pumpkin scones|
|Pumpkin scones for afternoon tea.|