The last couple of weeks have been a time of rest and recuperation for both Darren and I I was sick for a week with side effects from a vaccine and a cold that sent me to bed. Darren came down with a bad cold about the same time. I've been feeling well for three days now and Darren has almost recovered.
We were grateful for a well stocked freezer of home made meals to keep us going. We are also grateful for a clean, tidy and organised home that gave us the opportunity to just sit and recover. No dirty washing or dishes piling up around us.
Although I've been absent for the last couple of weeks, my frugal list is very short and sweet. There were days when I couldn't do a single task around our home.
So here it is - our frugal list
* We picked kale, silverbeet and lettuce from our garden to go with a few of our meals
* Pruned our Hebe bush and used the branches to brighten our home.
* Made 2 kilos of brown sugar from scratch.
* Made a quadruple batch of ANZAC biscuit dough. Some was baked and the rest of the dough went into the freezer.
* Made a big pot of spag bol sauce from 1 kilo of beef mince. I added TVP to stretch the meat and added grated carrot and lots of silverbeet and kale. From the pot of meat sauce I was able to get 21 single serves. We ate it fresh that night and the rest went into the freezer. Batch cooking at it's best.
* Gratefully received 2 pumpkins. Darren cut and cooked one of them. The flesh was drained overnight and portioned into containers to freeze. It will be used to make lots of pumpkin scones in the future.
* Gratefully received some oranges and mandarins from Megan's trees.
* Saved the washing machine rinse water for the next load of washing.
|Making ANZAC biscuit dough|
|White sugar and molasses makes brown sugar|
|Fresh kale and silverbeet from the garden|