This week's frugal list is a little on the smaller side due to illness. I've had the chills and a sore throat since Wednesday and Darren has been unwell too. Hopefully by the time you read this on Saturday we'll be feeling a little better.
I guess the size of the list doesn't really matter does it ? We've stayed away from the shops as much as possible and only spent money when needed. Sometimes it's not necessarily the bargains you get, but the money you don't spend that counts.
Darren continues to earn really good money at his new job but our spending hasn't changed much. No job seems to be secure these days so we are saving as much as possible. That rainy day might just be around the corner.
Here's our frugal list for the week -
* Darren fed our compost bins with kitchen scraps and garden clippings.
* I picked 6 heads of broccoli from our garden. The total weight was 1.5 kilos and will eaten with many meals. I've blanched and flash frozen the broccoli florets and then placed them in snap lock bags. The stalks were finely diced and frozen too.
* Finished a few of upcycling projects. One is a jug my Mum gave me. It was brown and white and I've sprayed it white. I spray painted a dull silver picture frame white. It now looks fresh. The last project is a timber tea bag caddy. I've also spray painted it white ( I'll post a photo of this one next week ).
* I've placed the two batches of soap on the new ( from the op shop ) metal shelf I purchased last week. I used an old thin plastic cutting mat to line the shelves. Now the soap can cure without being knocked over.
* I made a pot of chunky chicken and veg soup, two bread sticks and ANZAC biscuits to take over to Jessica's place for dinner. Jessica has just come back from a 6 week trip to Europe and was desperately needing some wholesome food. I was going to get bread sticks at the supermarket but to be honest, I couldn't be bothered.
* Picked a few lemons and mandarins from our trees.
* Fed bread crusts, broccoli leaves, grass and weeds to the chickens.
* Made a chop suey meal and added TVP to the 250g of mince ( that I usually use ).. This meal normally gives me 4 or 5 serves. This time I got 6 main meal serves and 2 lunch serves.
* Saved the washing machine rinse water and shower warm up water like I usually do.
* Picked 5 large spinach leaves for the garden to add to the chop suey meal.
* Kept the curtains mostly closed ( except for a few inches ) on the cold, overcast days.
* Baked 3 loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness. This is almost the same recipe I used for the bread sticks. For the bread sticks I didn't add extra goodness and only used plain white flour.
|Broccoli from the garden|
|Diced broccoli stalks.|
|Homemade bread sticks|
|Before photo of an upcycling project|
|The after photo.|
|Op shop find soap curing rack|
|Another upcycling project. It was grey|
How did you save time, money or energy this week ?