Saturday 15 July 2023

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 15th July 2023

 We've had some lovely mild, sunny days in Melbourne this week.  It was so mild that it felt like Autumn instead of the depths of Winter.  The curtains were flung open and the heater turned off to enjoy the free warmth.

Here's how we saved money this week -

*  I made a big batch of pita chips.

*  Dried almost all our washing on clothes horses over the ducted heating vents.  I did dry one load in the dryer after having a very tiring day at work.  I'd scrubbed and cleaned a home for almost 7 hours and by the time I came home I could barely move my hands.  Throwing the washing in the dryer was easier than pegging it on a clothes horse.

*  Limited our heater usage on the sunny days and turned the thermostat down to 19 degrees Celsius.

*  Made a large amount of chop suey and added TVP to stretch the 250g of beef mince further.  I added in a large carrot,  capsicum and wom bok from our garden ( as well as other veggies ). I carefully portioned it out and got 10 serves.

*  Saved the washing machine rinse water and shower warm up water to pour back into the washing machine.

*  Baked three loaves of wholemeal bread with extra goodness.  I used recycled bread bags to store the bread in the freezer.

*  Darren baked 10 wholemeal bread rolls for his work lunches.

*  Gratefully received a large whole watermelon and some croissants.  

*  Used the solar lanterns every night after dinner.

LINKS -

Chop Suey - Aussie Style

Wholemeal Bread With Extra Goodness

Pita Chips


Home baked bread

Sewing I did for a baby shower

Bath towel,  hand towel and face washer set

How have you saved time,  money or energy this week ?


5 comments:

  1. Another great week Wendy. Your bread is super impressive.
    We cooked from scratch all week and took lunches to work and school. I didn’t spend any money except the normal food shopping.
    I made your brownies (for snacking) and apple crumble recipe for dessert one night. If I don’t have apples to stew I use a 400gm can of Pink Lady apples for $2.20. It makes a lovely cheap dessert.
    I’ve used the dryer too, just to finish off the washing. It’s been too damp outside to get it completely dry. We’ve stayed warm under blankets while watching tv and kept appliances and most lights, switched off.
    Have a lovely week :) Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing is lovely, Wendy. I am knitting a washcloth for a gift at the moment; whenever I have time I knit a bit more. This week:
    * made large pot of bolonese sauce with 250g mince and lentils, made double batch mini sausage rolls.
    * baked ANZAC slice, sweet potato & chocolate muffins and pumpkin scones for school lunchbox
    * picked lettuce, herbs, spinach and tomatoes from garden
    * wore layers, used hot water bottles, wore thick socks and snuggled under blankets - no heating needed so far this Winter
    * saved $28 using 7Eleven fuel lock - price had jumped to $2.07 so grateful for this!
    * bought 2x jumbo bags of popped corn chips at discount shop for $5ea. These are huge bags and I've portioned one of them into clip-lock snack bags for school lunch.
    Have a good week!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did some pickling - courgettes and home-grown shallots, which I much prefer to pickled onions. I cleaned using home-made cleaner and micro-fibre cloths. I also renewed my library membership. My husband arranged a log delivery from our local wildlife trust. They cut and season logs from trees thinned on their reserves and sell it at a much lower price than any of the regular log merchants in this area. We are members of the trust, so are happy to contribute to their funds whilst bagging ourselves a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to find your post in Facebook! For some reason I stopped getting Emails for new posts.

    You got a lot done this week and I love the baby gifts.

    I need to visit your recipe section to get ideas. Love your blog!

    Jane in Florida, USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve been missing your posts and hope that everything is OK with you.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.