Saturday 9 December 2023

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 9th December 2023

 We are feeling quite organised this year in the lead up to Christmas.  Most of the presents are wrapped,  the Christmas lunch menu is sorted,  baking is in the freezer and most of the Christmas cards have been written.  I've even made a good start on next year's birthday and Christmas presents

Here's how we saved money over the last couple of weeks -

*  I planted luffa,  corn and more beans in our veggie garden.

*  I baked lots of shortbread biscuits ( frozen from the freezer ) as the occasion arose.  They really are much nicer than store bought,  which I was a fan of previously.

*  Darren made his Christmas rocky road.  This year he called it ' Christmas lights '.

*  I made 5 jars of relish using tomatoes from our garden that we  froze last Summer.

*  I bought lots of toys for our grandchildren and for charity giving at the Black Friday sale at Toymate.    The Buzz Lightyear figures were only $7 each less 5% from their loyalty program.

*  I sold 4 raspberry plants from our garden.

*  I bulk cooked tuna pasta bake,  beef stew,  chop suey and salmon patties.  Our freezers are full again and I won't have to cook too often leading up to Christmas.  I love the ' cook once,  eat four or five times ' type of cooking.  I don't do a bulk cooking day but cook larger meals at dinner time and freeze the extras.

*  Picked lots of silverbeet from our garden to add to many dishes for dinner.

*  I planted lots of potatoes in our garden including the tiny,  tiny ones.  Every little bit helps and we rarely buy potatoes now.

*  Darren saved some of our strawberry plants after I pulled them out earlier this year.  I got tired of watering them and the bugs eating all the fruit.  Darren put the plants in pots on our decking area and they've been growing well.  Not a bug bite in sight.

*  I bought boxes of 100 teabags for $3 each  less my 10% discount at Woolworths.  This is a great bargain considering most boxes of teabags are now $5 - $7 each at full price and nothing much comes on a half price sale these days.  

LINKS -

Tuna Pasta Bake

Salmon Patties

Chop Suey

Shortbread Biscuits

Tomato Relish

Darren's ' Christmas lights ' Rocky Road


Our Christmas displays around our home







Bulk cooking for the freezer

Bargain tea bags

Our granddaughter Naomi at her first Christmas party

How are your Christmas planning coming along ?

How did you save money this week ?


10 comments:

  1. That’s a great idea to freeze dough and then bake. I must try it. It is a good idea to cook extra for dinners too. That way when things get hectic there is a meal on the table. Your granddaughter is beautiful. So precious! What a gift children are! Thank you for showing us your Christmas decorations, they make me happy. We are going away, so it’s minimal this year, but the children’s Christmas artwork is up :) lots of love Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your comment Lily. We love decorating our home. It brings us joy and our grandsons love it. Especially Luka our 4 1/2 year old.

      Delete
  2. That rocky road looks delicious! I received a little gift of homemade apricot balls and rum balls during the week. Homemade treats are something special!
    We've had a lot of health-related expenses lately but, otherwise, keep looking for savings:
    * used rewards $ to get $70 off groceries at supermarket, combined this with 10% off monthly offer - good saving for this month's holiday shop.
    * used 10% off at Big W as well to purchase a new swimming rashie for my son
    * mended pair of my son's shorts
    * filled up car using 7Eleven fuel lock price
    * began knitting dishcloths to replace old ones I use all the time, using cotton from my stash
    * purchased a discounted candle which I added to items from my present box for a Secret Santa gift for my work xmas celebration
    * sewed a little drawstring bag from fabric I had in my stash
    * made sure all appliances turned off at the wall every night before bed
    * borrowed many books from local library, from myself and my son, for holiday reading
    * donated a box of non-perishable food items and toiletries from my pantry for a local charity collection.
    Have a lovely week!
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 10% off at the supermarket is a great way to save more money isn't it.

      Delete
  3. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! I am trying to get a bit ahead, thoroughly cleaned house and windows, car and yard,now pouring rain! We have been to the last grandchild end of year function. Presents sorted, just trying to get ahead with some baking. New grandchild number four due next week, so ready for toddler sitting. Your tree looks lovely, good buy on the tea ! My freezer is full but store cupboard a bit low. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting for you to be expecting a new grandchild.
      Of course it rained after cleaning the windows and car.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and loved going back and reading your old posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered where you find your luffa seeds? We can't find any listed online. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend in Queensland who sent them to me.

      Delete
  6. Miss you here on your blog Wendy. Are you thinking of coming back? Of course I don't know what is happening in your world so this is not meant as pressure but many of us enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.