Wednesday 3 May 2023

Easy Coconut Slice

 A lovely lady by the name of Christine made this slice for morning tea at church about 6 weeks ago.  Both Darren and I had a piece of the slice and we were suitably impressed with how delicious it was.  Christine was kind enough to share the recipe with me and a few weeks ago I made it for my card making group.  They quite enjoyed it.  I gave a piece to my daughter Megan and she loved it so much she rang and asked for more.

The great news is we all pretty much have the ingredients in our pantry and fridge.   Nothing fancy,  just basic ingredients that are cheap.  Even the butter component is fairly inexpensive.

Christine made her slice with the usual sized choc chips.  I had generic brand mini dark chocolate chips and found I didn't need to use many.  I added chopped apricots because I like that combo.  You could add any dried fruits you have on hand.

1 cup self raising flour

1 cup of desiccated coconut

3/4 cup of castor sugar ( I used white sugar )

100g of butter

1 egg ( beaten )

90g of mini choc chips or similar

Approx, 10 dried apricots ( finely chopped )


Melt the butter and put aside to cool.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Add the beaten egg and melted,  cooled butter.

Mix until all ingredients are combined well.  The mixture will look slightly crumbly.

Press into a greased and lined  slice tin.  Bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 160c until the top is slightly brown

Cool in the tin then remove and slice.

Dust with a little icing sugar ( optional ).


A slightly crumbly mixture


5 comments:

  1. Thanks Wendy, I’m going to use this as a backup recipe for kitchen garden. The garden lady dried the apricots from the tree as they ripened in the summer holidays and gave them to me to use in a week when there’s not much fresh produce. The kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this morning Wendy and its delicious. Especially with a cup of tea. So easy to make and pantry friendly. Hubby loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this for our Xmas street party today. Every bit was eaten. Thanks for sharing Wendy. Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.