Wednesday 24 July 2024

Cost Of Living Crisis Series - Hosting A Celebration On A Budget

 Birthdays,  Mother's Day,  Father's Day,  Wedding Anniversaries,  Christmas,  Baby Showers and other special events still come up each year on our calendars whether there is a cost of living crisis or not.  How we celebrate these occasions may look a little different depending on our circumstances.  They can still be memorable with a little planning and organisation.

Over the almost 29 years Darren and I have been married,  we've hosted engagement parties,  21st birthdays,  lots of children's birthday parties,  baby showers,  Christmas Day meals for our extended families,  Australia Day BBQs,  Mother's Day afternoon teas,  Church functions and many other gatherings,  large ( over 50 people ) and small.

On each of these occasions I've catered for them ( as much as possible ) with food I've cooked and baked from scratch.  The only exception would be Australia Day when we buy a tray of lamb chops for the traditional Aussie BBQ.  I try to plan this ahead of time and look out for a sale on chops.

I'm able to pay for these occasions with money from my grocery budget.  If it's a big celebration I'll use money in my grocery slush fund which is saved,  leftover grocery money from previous months.

Here are my tricks and tips for a successful gathering on a budget -

*  I always write out a menu of food / meals I plan to cook or bake for the gathering.  Much thought goes into the foods I prepare.  They must be budget friendly,  tasty,  crowd favourites,  easy to make  and a variety of sweet and savoury.

*  Once the menu is decided,  I check to see what ingredients I already have on hand.  Once I've done this I write out a shopping list of the extra items needed.  Usually I have plenty of planning time so over the next couple of months I add items to my monthly shopping list and buy things when they come on sale.  If I don't have much notice,  I'll just duck up to the shops and buy what's needed.  Keep in mind that I have a well stocked pantry,  fridge and freezer so I might only need to buy a packet of chips and a few bottles of soft drink.

*  Once everything is bought,  I make a plan of when the food is to be cooked or baked.  I try to spread this out and never leave everything until the last minute.  When it comes to party food,  many things can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge or freezer.  Sausage rolls,  slices and cakes can be frozen for months.

*  I will quite happily buy generic ingredients,  generic party food like pies,  soft drink ( generic dry ginger ale is fantastic )  and dips to keep costs down.

*  I keep plastic picnic plates,  bowls and cutlery for kids parties and BBQs.  These are used over and over again.  

*  When our girls were still at home,  we kept a party box of streamers,  balloons,  party bags,  banners,  candles,  a balloon pump,  string,  scissors,  sticky tape and party prizes.  Most of these items came from discount shops,  clearance tables in department stores or supermarket sales.  

*  When family and friends ask if they can bring a plate of food,  I gratefully accept their kind offer.  This was especially so if it's a big celebration.  We are also happy to return the favour too.  Sharing the load and cost around just seems fair.  There's no point in working to the point of exhaustion then not enjoying the gathering. 

*  Old fashioned party games are a fun way to entertain at a kids party.  The egg and spoon race with a ping pong ball,  statues,  pass the parcel,  obstacle course,  pin the tail on the donkey,  the chocolate game and tunnel ball ( with a balloon ) are just some of the games we played.  We did this every year for Jessica and Megan's birthdays and the feedback from the kids and parents was great.  

*  Party bags don't need to be elaborate.   A few lollies,  a balloon and a little toy is all that's needed.  We also wrapped a piece of birthday cake in a serviette to take home.

*  I never put all the food out at once.  Sometimes people don't show up and I don't want excess food spoiling when it sits out getting warm or cold.  Yes,  the plates and platters are full,  but not overflowing.  Any food leftover in the fridge can be used the next day.

*  To add a favourite color to the party theme,  I cut up a plastic tablecloth to use as a table runner over the top of a white tablecloth.  It looks quite stylish.  If I don't have enough colored serviettes,  I alternate them with white ones in a neat stack on the table.

*  Not everyone likes soft drink so I always have a jug of water on the drinks table.   Tea and coffee is  offered too.  This keeps costs down.

*  I try to use whatever platters,  plates,  tableware accessories and decorations we already have.  Buying items for a 'one off ' occasion seems like a waste of money.

*  If I'm hosting a fancy celebration,  I get out the lace tablecloth,  my fancy dishes ( many are op shopped ) and candlesticks.  Nothing screams ' luxe ' more than getting out the good stuff. 

RELATED ARTICLES -

Thrifty Christmas Menu Ideas

Bringing Afternoon Tea

Planning A Christmas Menu On A Budget



Getting out the ' good stuff '.


Budget friendly food.


Afternoon tea


Bunting I made from old doilies.

What are your tips for budget friendly entertaining ?


2 comments:

  1. We carefully take down the birthday decorations and reuse them. I was shocked to find out that people seem to literally tear them down and throw them away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, you are totally an inspiration that can be followed by all who read and follow you. I personally hhave picked up a ton of top, that I can use while running my own, 1 person household. Thank you for your willingness to share.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.