Thursday 13 April 2017

Bread Pudding In The Slow Cooker

    
 I found a similar recipe  to this in a slow cooker cookbook years ago.   I had to adapt it as the original recipe was American - which means LOTS OF SUGAR. I'm guesstimating the amount of milk I use as I never really measure it. I always seem to pour a bit more over the bread if it looks like it needs more.

I use the crusts from the end of a loaf of bread. I save them up in the freezer until I have 6 - 8 truly making it a cheap dessert.   You can use wholemeal, multigrain or white bread. I have also made the milk up using powdered milk. It works out just fine.

6 - 8 slices of bread
600 - 800 mls of milk
4 eggs
1/3 cup of brown sugar
Dash of vanilla essence
Good shake of nutmeg and cinnamon
Jam - any flavour
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts

Turn on slow cooker first - high if it's a slow,  slow cooker or low if it's a fast slow cooker  
Spray the slow cooker with canola oil
Very lightly spread the jam over the bread and cut into large squares - perhaps 6 per slice. Place evenly in the bottom of slow cooker with jam facing up.

In a bowl mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over the bread in slow cooker dunking the bread under the mixture.  
Sprinkle the walnuts on top.

Cook for 3 hours and serve with cream or icecream.

Leftovers can be refrigerated for 2 days and heated up in the microwave as needed.

Bread pudding starting to cook.

Bread crusts with jam

Poured the egg mixture over the bread.

Dessert with cream.  Yum  !!!

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, Wendy. I haven't had bread and butter pudding since I left home. My Mum used to make it though she didn't spread the bread with jam. It's not something I make because both my "boys" don't like it. (They don't know what they are missing out on!) I do make homemade custard regularly though and we have that with pudding sometimes. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe Wendy. I have been reading through a slow cooker recipe book this afternoon so it was a happy coincidence to find your bread and butter pudding recipe. I am in the mood to try some recipe's I haven't yet made in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do use more sugar in our bread pudding in America, probably about double what you added but I've never seen it made with jam or nuts here. We usually add lots of cinnamon and 1/2 a cup of raisins. Also if the recipe is from the South they add a lot more butter and sweetners to recipes than Northerners do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How refreshing to see a recipe with just a little sugar. The recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.