400 grams of spaghetti pasta
2 cups of broccoli florets
1 cup of cauliflower florets
1 large carrot thinly sliced ( Julienne )
300 - 400 grams of steak thinly sliced against the grain
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of soy sauce ( salt reduced if preferred )
2 tablespoons of Hoi Sin sauce
2 teaspoons of sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon of dried ground ginger
1 teaspoon of dried garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of crushed chilli flakes ( optional )
Cook the pasta in salted water as per instructions.
While the pasta is cooking, add the vegetables to a steamer insert and place over the top of the pasta saucepan. Cook until slightly firm. Alternatively, steam them in the microwave.
Place oil in a fry pan and cook the beef until brown.
In a medium bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and return to the saucepan.
Add the steamed vegetables, beef and sauce to the pasta and combine well.
Serve in pre warmed pasta / noodle bowls.
Serves 4 - 5 people
* Beef is quite expensive at the moment. I used three sizzle steaks which cost $4.50 to serve 3 people ( I halved the recipe for Darren and I ).
* Drain the pasta really well. Adding the sauce gives the dish plenty of moisture.
* If broccoli and cauliflower are not in season, use beans and zucchini instead.
* Make sure you have all the vegetables and sauce prepped before you start cooking. This dish is reasonably fast to make so make sure you have everything ready to go.
* I pre warm pasta bowls with a little boiled water in the bottom. Be careful to drain the water away before serving your dish.
* If using fresh garlic, crush it and add to the beef when cooking.