Saturday 2 June 2018

This Week's Frugal Tasks Saturday 2nd June 2018

This week has been a week of stockpiling.  I'm thankful I had a good amount of money put away in the grocery slush fund for bargains.  Stockpiling is a way of never paying full price and ensuring we don't run out of anything.

Here's my frugal list for the week -

*  Made lemon slice and chocolate truffles  for Jessica's 21st birthday party.

*  Gratefully received lots of bread bags.  They were used for wrapping meat,  lining bathroom bins and for scooping up kitty poop.

*  Kept the heater off as much as possible when the Sun was shining.

*  Stockpiled toothpaste at $2 a tube and teabags 200 for $4.99.  I now have enough toothpaste for 2 years and tea for 2 1/2 years.

*  Dried most of the washing on the line.  Some things were finished in the dryer.  Darren is still painting so clothes horses would get in the way.

*  Cooked all meals from scratch except Jessica's birthday dinner.  We went to a local restaurant to celebrate.

*  Fed the compost bin  and worm farm with kitchen scraps.

*  Started using the door snake at the front door to prevent the cold air coming in.

*  Put the Winter doona on our bed.  With the temperature dropping overnight,  we won't be tempted to turn the heater up.

*  Jessica and I were in Kmart just as a staff member was filling up the discount trolleys.  Jessica picked up a stainless steel kettle for $17 and a couple of jumpers for $8.  I picked up a few makeup / toiletry goodies to go in the girl's Christmas stockings.  I also bought clips to seal chip and biscuit packets for 75 cents a pack.  I bought lots for us to use and some will be put in the present cupboard.

*  Saved water in the shower,  washing machine and kitchen sink.

*  Bought lots of butter from NQR for $3.69 for 500g.  I've put a few blocks in the fridge and the rest went into the freezer.  $3.69 is a bargain price considering butter increases in price just about every week and is now selling for $5.10.

 
Drying the washing for free

Chocolate truffles

Lemon slice

How did you save money this week ?

11 comments:

  1. I made your lemon slice (double batch) everyone loved it. I was given a bag of lovely lemons. Our tee died so I was happy. I have had to rejig the new financial year budget after increase in a few things including electricity. I am also doing inventory of stockpile so I don't loose any stock.
    Happy Birthday to your daughter!!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy I love your blog. I saved money buying one tonne of wood instead of half tonne and saved $20. This will just last twice as long. We also get offcuts from a factory in Braeside for free. Simon brings them home which is saving us money on wood. I also only buy coffee when on special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little stockpile, on a shelf in my linen cupboard, for foodstuffs and a set of drawers on wheels in our bathroom where I store toothpastes/brushes etc. It's great to be able to get something from them when I run out. I worked all week but still tried to be as frugal as possible. So, all meals and snacks made at home from things in freezer and pantry. I got some lovely citrus and apples from a friend and will freeze juice and stew apples later today. Apple crumble! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing your savings! It inspires me to keep doing what I am doing ---- baking our bread, cooking from scratch, drying clothes on the line.... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scored some free end of season apples at a market by swapping them for a reusable produce bag that the store holder had been looking for. My work hours have dropped so I have to tighten the belt as I am now a single parent to my girls. I am shopping for bread of an evening at Woolworths when the bread is half price or less. I put it in the freezer. I am going to get the bread maker going again as well. Asked my daughter Siobhan what she wanted for birthday dinner and she wanted bangers (sausages) and mash. So very easy and happy with that. My ex husband bought her some hermit crabs. They are really a lot of fun.
    My chickens have gone on winter hiatus so having to buy eggs again. Drying clothes on the clothes racks or on the line. I create mini airing cupboards by putting a sheet over the racks and putting the racks over a couple of ducted heating vents. If I need to dry anything in a hurry I go to the laundromat (cheaper than adding to the electricity bill) $1 for 10 minutes. Have a blessed week Abundantites

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Wendy,

    Well the past two weeks has since me very busy especially in the garden.
    I’m continuing with the use it up challenge and so I’ve used a bar of soap I had in the wardrobe for hand soap which DH likes, used up some tinned fruit in muffins, using up skin care before buying new stuff and using up perfume cream instead of usual perfume.

    I made pita chips, muffins(using up frozen fruit and tinned fruit), biscuits, pumpkin soup and all meals from scratch.
    Budget savings measures this fortnight were: sewing and mending clothing, watering down my shampoo, colouring my own hair, gardening cutting roses and not buying any mulch using what I had , same with the fertilizer and using egg shells as snail bail for the seedlings. I picked the last of the capsicums, revised out health insurance savings $20.00 per month, used a free coles gift card for petrol, menu planned for the month and updated the budget.
    We ate leftovers, ate one roast lamb over 5 meals, added milk powder to normal milk to get double, washed out ziplock bags, Mooed carpet powder, was careful with my petrol as it’s so expensive and used the tank water for the washing and collected the water from the shower and kitchen sink.

    We were blessed to receive bread, I sold some cards, recharged my mobile phone in my car as I drove, shop the specials at NQR and shopped at a new fruit and veggie shop that opened near us and got things like 5kg bag potatoes 99c, Lebanese bread 59c per bag, jap pumpkin 49c kg and ham $5.99kg.


    June sees us doing a Low/No spend month and two days in, doing well, nothing spent and menu plan adjusted so I won’t need to buy anything, just use up what I have. I’ve let the rest of the family know that this is what we are doing for June and don’t bother asking cos you’ll know my answer. Heeeeee.

    Have a great week and I hope Jessica’s afternoon tea is/was perfect
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, hope you don't mind me asking which suburb this new fruit and vegetables shop is as they are really good bargains.
      Kind regards,
      Andrea.

      Delete
    2. Hi Andrea,
      Water gardens shopping centre, Taylor’s Lakes, Victoria

      Delete
    3. Thanks Maureen, in my direction, but a little out of my way, but thanks for letting me know.
      Andrea.

      Delete
  7. Wendy, you have a great writing style, very appealing. Frugal? I managed to keep the air conditioning off this week, all except one day, and then I only had it on for 1 hour - just to cool down the apartment and take away the muggies, and it has been over 90*F here most of the week. Did not have to water the 2 patio baskets with have my tomatoes, cucumbers and squash in because it has rained every day this week. I have a new kitty who has had some tummy issues so I have used grocery bags to get the kitty litter every morning before going to work and dispose of it. I made iced tea almost daily and take some to work so I am not buying some at a store along the way. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We also did some stockpiling this week. We had Memorial Day specials here in the US. Condiments were very cheap so I got a bunch. We are good on ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce and thousand island dressing. I make most of my own dressings but my son likes this kind in the bottle. The rest of my week is here: https://mcoia.blogspot.com/2018/06/my-frugal-list-week-of-may-27-2018.html

    ReplyDelete

This blog is designed to be a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Negative comments will not be published. Comments advertising businesses or goods for sale will not be published.

Please include your first name in your comment so that I can respond to you.

Comments are moderated manually. Please allow a few hours for them to appear.